good place to work..i enjoyed the work

Current Employee - Analyst Programmer in Bangalore (India)
Current Employee - Analyst Programmer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Citi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good place to work..i enjoyed the work

Cons

no cons in citi group

Advice to Management

keep it up

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great training ground, though average pay

Former Employee - Project Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Citi full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

* If you can get in here at the beginning of your career, then you will learn a lot as they have some of the best product, marketing, and operational processes along with financial discipline that I have experienced in my career to date.
    * As things happen at light-speed at Citi, sideward promotions are done quickly so you can move around the different teams within a business unit quite quickly. Upward promotions are another story (see cons).

Cons

* Unlike other organisations, Citi is extremely tight with expenses. Everything is analysed to death before a decision (normally a "no") is made. I noticed a big pull back around the GFC, and it didn't let up many years thereafter. I believe this stifles innovation and risk taking, and unfortunately I see that Citi has gone from an innovator to a follower.
    * Middle management is too focused on protecting their own nests and fighting for the top promotions when they come up from time-to-time.
    * The overall culture in the bank is dog-eat-dog -- people are generally so overworked and competitive that they aren't willing nor have the time to help you...and why would they help a competitor for a future promotion that they're going after?!
    * The pay is really average compared to the big 2/4 - like I said, really great place to learn but terrible if you want to get financially recognised for your experience.
    * Overall, there seems to be a lack of cohesiveness with the strategy of the consumer bank -- do we just focus on the Credit Cards business which is a cash cow, or should we actually become a proper bank and accept deposits and write mortgages? The branch network is orientated towards Asian investors, and sends a mixed message.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the middle managers that are just there to protect their nest, start loosening the purse strings and spend some money to become innovative again, and work out what kind of bank do you want to be (just cards, Asian investors, or a general retail bank?).

2. Once you understand how Citi works and how people interact, you like it here!

Current Employee - Director in Mumbai (India)
    Current Employee - Director in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at Citi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Trains you in people relationships

Cons

Nothing major identified at Citi

Advice to Management

Nothing major identified at Citi