Citi

www.citigroup.com
  www.citigroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for Citi

Very hierarchical and oppressive environment. Would never work there again.

I have been working at Citi full-time

Pros

It's a global company - very large.

Cons

Lack of flexibility. Likes to maintain old approaches at the expense of innovation and change. Tough environment to work or feel satisfied in. Would not recommend to others.

Be open to constructive change which is very difficult in Citi's current organization.

2774 Other Employee Reviews for Citi (View Most Recent)

Great start, decent pay, no room for growth

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Citi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Citibank can be a great stepping stone. Their training program and bank platform are spectacular (albeit very slow majority of the time). The compensation for personal banker positions is one of the highest if you're coming on board from another financial institution. Great financial products and modern bank solutions for clients.

Cons

I will be with the company for 4 years come this March and have submitted many job applications to help further develop my career. Majority of my applications have gone unanswered and the ones I do receive a response to say that "they have found a better qualified candidate". The positions I have applied to are nothing out of the ordinary for a personal banker to want to develop into. There just seems to be a lack of opportunity and growth potential. I've brought much business and deposits into my branch, my monthly compensation from surpassing "hurdles" will reflect that and the only reason I can imagine for not promoting me is because I'm an asset to them while holding the position I'm currently in.

Promote individuals who show consistency and are putting in the effort to further advance their career.

Expense reduction leads to talent reduction

Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Citi full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is one of the best aspects of working for Citi, as they allow you to work from home and will work with you to adjust your hours if you have to deal with family commitments (depending on the team). Working for a global bank is a good learning experience, and there are opportunities to interact with people from multiple continents on certain projects. In technology, vendors know Citi is a huge contract, so you can get wined and dined, if you can make it through their sales pitch. There is a 6% 401k match and the health plans are good, though a bit more expensive in recent years.

Cons

Ever since the financial crash there has been a huge emphasis on expense reduction, which means employees (aside from the top echelon of management) are hard pressed to get travel reimbursement, or training approved. In corporate, the annual adjustments and bonuses have been poor, and many see nothing come year end. If you are an old timer who made your money in the good times, you can hang around and lead a relatively stress free existence collecting a fat check. If you are younger and work at Citi for a while, you will have a hard time keeping up with inflation. Moreover, the advancement opportunities are little, as the senior managers never seem to move on and the company places a greater emphasis on moving operations to low cost areas.

Invest in your top people and foster growth in their career.

There are newer employer reviews for Citi