Citi

There are newer employer reviews for Citi

Thinking like employees

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Citi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hours are about 9-6 (I'm in a back office role)
pay is pretty good
people are nice

Cons

The typical mentality of employees is to think like employees rather than thinking like owners, for some people this is good, for me it's not, I like to be able to lose myself in my work and be excited about what I'm doing and that's hard if I'm the only one who feels that way.

I'm not sure how this is done, but some firms (e.g. Goldman) have it down, instill a culture of teamwork, ownership and pride in one's work

2977 Other Employee Reviews for Citi (View Most Recent)

Great place to start a career

Former Employee - Operations Analyst in New Castle, DE
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst in New Castle, DE

I worked at Citi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are lots of opportunities to extend yourself and to exceed expectations for your role. If you are comfortable with technology then you can surpass many of your colleagues.

Cons

Long hours, average pay and sometimes unrealistic expectations for projects being completed.

They could be willing to hand out praise/recognition more often.

Long drudgery, but great benefits.

I worked at Citi (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are amazing, and if you work hard and receive favorable employee ratings, they will move heaven and earth to work with you on a work life balance.

Cons

The leadership is spotty. Unit managers have considerable autonomy over their employees and work group which has many pros and cons. My biggest complaint was in advancement. In 16 years, I never was clear on what goes into advancement decisions. Honestly my direct supervisors were equally clueless. They would mentor me and other employees for weeks on their own time only to watch as we weren't granted interviews. It is not unusual to see a 20 year old on his or her first job obtain a supervisory position while people who had degrees and years of experience in similar roles at other companies never be considered. And the corporate culture is obsessed with change. If something works, it will be replaced by a new process with limited testing.

Spend more time developing your employees than your software. Give clear guidelines for employees pursuing advancement. And share this with supervisors so that their time and ours aren't wasted.

There are newer employer reviews for Citi