Citizen Schools

www.citizenschools.org
There are newer employer reviews for Citizen Schools

Steer Clear

I worked at Citizen Schools

Pros

Get experience teaching students in a public school.

Cons

I wrote this review a year ago and held off on posting to see if I feel the same. Apparently I still do!

-Poor professional development opportunities. You join a fellowship to get experience and opportunities, but in my experience, fellows are given busywork and menial tasks in the morning to keep them busy.

-Shaky evidence. There is little-to-no evidence that ELT is linked to better outcomes for students in the long run. What I have seen is extremely soft; conveniently, Citizen Schools' changes how they assess the program so there is no real way to know how its doing.

-Apprenticeships are the only worthwhile piece of the program, the rest is fluff to justify an extra 2-3 hours every day.

-Management is inexperienced. Management does not have the skills or experience to lead staff in meeting organizational goals, i.e., raising ELA/Math MCAS scores. I've yet to meet a manager who could accurately evaluate an expression, let alone one who has experience as an instructor in one of these areas. I have taught content above my manager's comprehension level, and so I could not get valuable feedback on it.

-The nature of the fellowship makes it prone to abuse. There are no limits on fellows' hours or work that they can be given; work assignments tend to be distributed unevenly and planned poorly. Work/life balance is a joke. I am aware that in the last year, there was an attempt by upper management to require fellows' to use one of their 5 days off to take off holidays like Labor Day and Memorial Day. Managers hold the education award over fellows' heads and use it as a fear tactic. I have seen managers be verbally abusive of employees. The organizational culture is to treat fellows as workhorses while condescending to them.

-Too many roles. Fellows have a morning role, an afternoon position, and often, a third regional or other piece. The result, and I have heard this from others, is that you dabble in several things but are not able to do any well.

-Unsustainable and irresponsible growth. Citizen Schools' cannot keep up with the attrition rate of fellows; although its a 2-year commitment, many leave after the 1st (some go before). Despite these clear signals, the organization keeps building out, even when they are scarcely able to staff their existing campuses. It is going to implode at some point in the future.

Give all of your federal money to head start and jumpstart, and instead, pay your fellows a living wage and live by

40 Other Employee Reviews for Citizen Schools (View Most Recent)

A teaching fellow at Citizen Schools is half the impact, stress, and salary of a full time teacher.

I have been working at Citizen Schools

Pros

Excellent HR department, supportive work environment, opportunity to positively impact students' lives

Cons

Few advanced career opportunities within the organization, job security dependent on grants and fluctuating budgets of public school systems, AmeriCorps salary only realistic for recent graduates, organization is the best academic after-school program for public schools in the U.S; but prone to all the faults and misguided goals of public schooling, including standardized testing and a STEM-heavy emphasis.

Excellent culture, mission, and program

Former Employee - Manager, HQ in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager, HQ in Boston, MA

I worked at Citizen Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- At any level, you have the ability to share ideas with senior leaders and execute on your ideas
    - Work/life balance at the HQ is quite good. You may need to manage expectations initially, but if you show you can deliver excellent work, you can leave between 5-6pm every day.
    -Growing organization gaining wider profile in education sector, exciting place to work

Cons

- In a management role, make sure you get to campus frequently to see the students, otherwise you may feel disconnected at times.
    - Like any growing organization, Citizen Schools is still trying to find its true brand and going through some minor growing pains

- Keep focused on the mission. Funding is important, but don't make decisions because of funding. Make decisions because of the mission, execute well, and the funding will come.

There are newer employer reviews for Citizen Schools