There are newer employer reviews for Citizen Schools

Amazing program, given the right school conditions, and turnover was a challenge.

Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Boston, MA

I worked at Citizen Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great program model. Working with volunteers in the hands on aspects were really engaging for the students, they got to apply things to the real world context. The teaching staff worked together as a team and were tight and supported each other. The leadership was really bought in on the mission. The administrative structure make sense as does the data measurement.

Cons

Staff retention and satisfaction were a challenge. The part time teaching role was not paid enough to make the job attractive so it turned over. Sometimes there was too much on the plate of teaching fellows, and not enough support and good curriculum. The headquarters was sometimes insulated from the reality on the ground.

Figure out the balance of apprenticeship career based classes and academics, it seems Citizen Schools is not a test prep organization but may be pushed that way. Figure out something to replace part time teaching role, that is manageable and that has livable salary.

38 Other Employee Reviews for Citizen Schools (View Most Recent)

It's so dependent upon your state management

I have been working at Citizen Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome philosophy, great IMPACT! Really making a difference for the kids across the US.

Cons

Work hours w/o compensation. Negitive overall culture, very driven by national goals rather than the realities of various campuses. Teachers are unprofessional recent college grads who often don't care.

Hire BETTER Teaching Fellows - people who have a true and demonstrated commitment.

Steer Clear

I worked at Citizen Schools

Pros

Get experience teaching students in a public school.

Cons

I wrote this review a year ago and held off on posting to see if I feel the same. Apparently I still do!

-Poor professional development opportunities. You join a fellowship to get experience and opportunities, but in my experience, fellows are given busywork and menial tasks in the morning to keep them busy.

-Shaky evidence. There is little-to-no evidence that ELT is linked to better outcomes for students in the long run. What I have seen is extremely soft; conveniently, Citizen Schools' changes how they assess the program so there is no real way to know how its doing.

-Apprenticeships are the only worthwhile piece of the program, the rest is fluff to justify an extra 2-3 hours every day.

-Management is inexperienced. Management does not have the skills or experience to lead staff in meeting organizational goals, i.e., raising ELA/Math MCAS scores. I've yet to meet a manager who could accurately evaluate an expression, let alone one who has experience as an instructor in one of these areas. I have taught content above my manager's comprehension level, and so I could not get valuable feedback on it.

-The nature of the fellowship makes it prone to abuse. There are no limits on fellows' hours or work that they can be given; work assignments tend to be distributed unevenly and planned poorly. Work/life balance is a joke. I am aware that in the last year, there was an attempt by upper management to require fellows' to use one of their 5 days off to take off holidays like Labor Day and Memorial Day. Managers hold the education award over fellows' heads and use it as a fear tactic. I have seen managers be verbally abusive of employees. The organizational culture is to treat fellows as workhorses while condescending to them.

-Too many roles. Fellows have a morning role, an afternoon position, and often, a third regional or other piece. The result, and I have heard this from others, is that you dabble in several things but are not able to do any well.

-Unsustainable and irresponsible growth. Citizen Schools' cannot keep up with the attrition rate of fellows; although its a 2-year commitment, many leave after the 1st (some go before). Despite these clear signals, the organization keeps building out, even when they are scarcely able to staff their existing campuses. It is going to implode at some point in the future.

Give all of your federal money to head start and jumpstart, and instead, pay your fellows a living wage and live by

There are newer employer reviews for Citizen Schools