There are newer employer reviews for Citizen Schools

Doing more harm than good

Current Employee - Teaching Fellow  in  Boston, MA
Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizen Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Lots of passion and drive, all around. Young organization that's willing to change and grow. Great, incredible kids and families who deserve much better.

Cons

-Campus management has no business being in schools. Some have never taught or worked in schools before becoming a Deputy or Campus Director. More have a smidgeon of experience working with a different age group than middle schoolers. Management's biggest goal is to make recent college grads successful educators. It's a case of the blind leading the blind.

-Talent is low-quality. I certainly knew many TFs in my time there who only went with CS because they couldn't get another position. I doubt things will improve as the economy and the job outlook improves.

-Horrible workplace boundaries. I have nothing against hard work, but the managers I worked with have no sense of what is and is not appropriate to ask of employees. Because TFs are generally new to the workforce and don't have a sense of where the line should be drawn, there's no pushback.

38 Other Employee Reviews for Citizen Schools (View Most Recent)

I experienced that I can make a difference in the lives of children.

Former Employee - Volunteer  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Boston, MA

I worked at Citizen Schools as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The best reason to work for Citizen Schools is the freedom that they allow a person to have in terms of teaching his or her field of excellence.

Cons

A person cannot be greedy when working with Citizen Schools. If you are selfish, then this company is not for you. You must be willing to dedicate your time for the cause, and you must expect the intrinsic value of your work to be the most satisfying wage.

Please encourage the students to be Citizen Schools teachers.

During my experience at Citizen Schools, I have gained a lot of experience in teaching and professional development.

I have been working at Citizen Schools

Pros

-Great teaching experience
    -Great professional development
    -Changing the lives of students

Cons

-I know we are AmeriCorps Volunteers but a little extra could not hurt
    -Management makes way to much to do not much.
    -Teaching Fellows, are not appreciated the way they should. We are overworked and underpaid.

Have someone from HQ speak with the Teaching Fellows from each region to ask them about their concerns, because just speaking to the MDP's or the CD's about their problems is an unfair to the Teaching Fellows in that region.

There are newer employer reviews for Citizen Schools

Worked for Citizen Schools? Contribute to the Community!