Citizen Schools

www.citizenschools.org
  www.citizenschools.org
There are newer employer reviews for Citizen Schools

Worthwhile experience but it's not for everyone

Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizen Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Dedicated, passionate Teaching Fellow staff
- Support from coworkers
- Good experience right out of college
- Great way to decide if teaching is right for you

Cons

- Unclear job expectations. When I began as a Teaching Fellow, I had no idea what the job actually entailed. I was envisioning a seamless extended day and the opportunity to build relationships one on one with students. The reality is anything but. Which leads to...

- Not being taken seriously in schools. By anyone! Students' attendance is mandatory so they resent being forced to stay in school for 10 hours every day. They don't see it as part of their normal school day, they see it as a tedious after-school program. The teachers mostly feel the same way... The time that we offer students to complete their homework is beneficial, but the random academic lessons that we teach are difficult to relate to students' lives, and don't connect well to their normal school curriculum.

- Extreme disconnect between Headquarters staff and schools. Often it seems that the upper management or those who work exclusively at headquarters have no idea what actually goes on in the schools. They're presented with this extremely idealized version of an extended day, and they lap it up. It's just not the reality of teaching kids who sit through school for over half of their waking hours.

- Teaching Fellows are NOT PAID ENOUGH. I know this is Americorps, and it's about dedicating yourself to the cause, but come on...we do the most menial work and put up with some really ridiculous stuff, and are simply not adequately compensated.

- Diversity (or lack thereof..) I understand Americorps jobs are often taken by affluent white kids who don't know what else to do when they graduate. But I think it's difficult to connect with and relate to kids whose experience you know absolutely nothing about. We don't look the same and we don't have much in common. Makes it tougher, for sure.

- Goals. It just seems like they're so quick to expand and take on more, when the program is far from ideal. Fix what's in place first, then accept more responsibilities.

Hire some people who have REAL experience working with children in classrooms, kids of color, kids in general.
Create realistic expectations. It's not realistic to expect an 11 year old to complete their home work in silence when they have been in school since 7am.
Appreciate the work that Teaching Fellows do, and pay them just a little bit more.

40 Other Employee Reviews for Citizen Schools (View Most Recent)

It has been a good experience and I have learned many skills in my 2 years at Citizen Schools

Current Employee - National Teaching Fellow in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - National Teaching Fellow in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Citizen Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The teamwork dynamic is extraordinary.

Cons

There are many tasks to do and I feel that because there are so many, they are done with half the effort. If there were less tasks then more quality work would be produced.

A great mission, not always well-executed

Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at Citizen Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Teaching Fellows work well together, fair time off, many experiences for development and trying new things, chances to build relationships with students

Cons

High turn over rate, top-down hierarchy doesn't always prioritize student needs, exhausting, campuses are different enough from each other that training that takes place across multiple campuses generally isn't applicable

The teachers and campus directors on campus know more about what will and will not work for their students than you do. Ask them and listen to them before trying to fix something.

There are newer employer reviews for Citizen Schools