There are newer employer reviews for Citizens Bank

enjoyable, albeit limited in terms of long term career advancement

Former Employee - Teller I in Albany, NY
Former Employee - Teller I in Albany, NY

I worked at Citizens Bank

Pros

In my branch at least, everyone was extremely fun to work with, friendly, and supportive. My manager was a good guy, who understood how to keep everyone motivated, and working well together. He addressed issues before they became a problem. I worked here as a college student, and they were understanding of my priorities being A) school and B) work at the bank. I was actualy invited to be a part of their student internship program, which entailed bi weekly days spent at the new york headquarters, meeting with high level executives who gave us speechs on what it was like to work high up in the company.

Cons

Working in a bank period is difficult - frequently customers are highly distressed over money, which tends to be very personal, and you need to be able to diffuse that situation. Overall, it was a perfectly find part time job in college, which was good customer service experience, but I saw now real room to advance, unless you saw managing a branch as your ultimate goal.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Interesting work, nice coworkers; but RBS will do anything to save a buck

Current Employee - Consultant in Cranston, RI
    Current Employee - Consultant in Cranston, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

The work is interesting. Most of the workers are smart and dedicated and helpful. Despite the crowding (or maybe because of it), people are generally very courteous. There's a gym (employees only) and a cafeteria. Security is taken seriously.

Cons

Politics and BS so thick you can cut them with a knife. RBS is cheap and will do anything to save a buck. Employees are constantly laid off and more contractors are constantly brought in. This can cause conflict among managers. Work/life balance - difficult. Employees cannot access personal e-mail, even on their lunch hour. Offices are packed so full of workers that colds, etc. spread through each department like wildfire, and the parking lot is too small to accommodate everyone, so contractors park offsite and are bussed in. Groups are often forced to have meetings out in the open (with others are working nearby) because there are so few meeting rooms.

Advice to Management

Please treat all of your workers like human beings who have personal lives and fallible immune systems. Listen to the expertise and new ideas each person brings to the organization. Don't pinch pennies and cut corners at the expense of employees' ability to do their work (outdated tools, software, equipment).

Taken over by inept managers from RBS in United Kingdom and destroyed a great culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

employer pays well compared to other Rhode Island companies, most of the employees are friendly and hard-working, spend on new technology has been consistent

Cons

little chance for internal promotion due to UK influence, firedrill management that does not communicate honestly (asks for open comments, but people are punished for voicing any disagreement with management)

Advice to Management

at least for technology and business services, remove the UK influence and leadership