There are newer employer reviews for Citizens Bank

Welcome to the world of competitive sales.

Former Employee - Banker I
Former Employee - Banker I

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Met some great people (some employee's but mostly customers).

Cons

I didn't even make it a year before calling it quits. Why? read below.

It's a bank about "community" but only cares about selling undesirable products to its customers. Sales goals were extremely unrealistic and not consistent with new hire training. I had a goal for loans way before I even went to the training for loans and then was scolded at the end of the quarter because I didn't make the goal. I also didn't start my new hire training until I was already five-six weeks into the job.

Because there are monetary incentives for selling, working in a branch with multiple bankers often lead to backstabbing and other shady acts when it came down to the wire. I was required to attend meetings to help schedule appointments for new to bank business customers. The scheduled appts and resulting new accounts were credited to other bankers who had a business goal and received COMMISSION on these accounts. I did not receive anything aside from a pat on the back and a job well done. Why not make those with a goal attend? In conjunction the amount of time I was forced to spend out of the office resulted in me missing opportunities to even make my own goal.

Management isn't as knowledgeable as the staff their overseeing. I found that I was constantly answering my managers questions or rectifying their mistakes with customers. The systems that are used are so dated that it causes frequent customer issues. Error's while opening accounts, accounts not properly linked together causing multiple fee's for the customer, customers never receiving pin numbers with their debit cards and a resolution system that does anything but resolve; long turn around time for customer issues. A large portion of my day was filled with rebating and lying to customers who were charged tremendous fee's.

When I was originally contacted about employment I had interviewed for a Banker and Assistant branch manager position. I was told that it was better to become a banker and then go to a assistant branch manager because they only promote leadership from within; come to find out they hire managers with out prior banking experience. There is little room for advancement and it seems the only track that you can look forward too is becoming an assistant branch manager or branch manager. Corporate opportunities are made to seem far out of reach. Compensation was mediocre for the job performed and low compared to the industry average. I found it very hard to have a balanced work and personal life because I was at work 6 out of 7 days (Traditional branch). Lastly, they have a HIGH turnover rate, I witnessed three people leave before I made my move.

All in all.. I would NOT recommend this company to a friend.

Advice to Management

Consistent training. More of a focus on treating customers fairly, and a big push away from SELLING. Wage increase so employee's actually care about their job. Hire managers that know what they're talking about.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good pay and benefits, but difficult sales culture and lack of respect for the customer.

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Elgin, IL
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Elgin, IL

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, amazing vacation time, and good pay. Loyalty is rewarded by upper management, and if you do your job well and hit goals, the work is very rewarding.

Cons

The "do anything to get sales" attitude. I was forced to do a lot of shady deals and sacrifice the best thing for the customer in order to hit sales goals. Anything was deemed acceptable in order to achieve the sales goal.
    Branch Managers have the attitude that they don't need to show up for work because they are salaried. Some Branch Managers were constantly late, always left early, and took excessive personal days and vacation days, all with no repercussions.

Advice to Management

Strong sales is not the sole reason someone should be promoted. Some of the best bankers became Branch Managers because they excelled in sales, but they received no training on how to be managers. As a result, they don't know how to handle situations that come up, they lack professionalism, and the lower level employees suffer.

2. Great job for those fresh out of college

Former Employee - In Store Banker in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - In Store Banker in Rochester, NY

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Benefits
    Chance to earn commission
    Lots of training
    Fun Environment

Cons

7 days a week/rotating schedule
    hard to move up in the company
    bank policies are confusing and you may feel like you are taking advantage of customers.