Citizens Financial Group
cfgcareers.com Providence, RI 5000+ Employees

Welcome to the world of competitive sales.

Banker I (Former Employee)

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time for less than a year

ProsMet some great people (some employee's but mostly customers).

ConsI didn't even make it a year before calling it quits. Why? read below.

It's a bank about "community" but only cares about selling undesirable products to its customers. Sales goals were extremely unrealistic and not consistent with new hire training. I had a goal for loans way before I even went to the training for loans and then was scolded at the end of the quarter because I didn't make the goal. I also didn't start my new hire training until I was already five-six weeks into the job.

Because there are monetary incentives for selling, working in a branch with multiple bankers often lead to backstabbing and other shady acts when it came down to the wire. I was required to attend meetings to help schedule appointments for new to bank business customers. The scheduled appts and resulting new accounts were credited to other bankers who had a business goal and received COMMISSION on these accounts. I did not receive anything aside from a pat on the back and a job well done. Why not make those with a goal attend? In conjunction the amount of time I was forced to spend out of the office resulted in me missing opportunities to even make my own goal.

Management isn't as knowledgeable as the staff their overseeing. I found that I was constantly answering my managers questions or rectifying their mistakes with customers. The systems that are used are so dated that it causes frequent customer issues. Error's while opening accounts, accounts not properly linked together causing multiple fee's for the customer, customers never receiving pin numbers with their debit cards and a resolution system that does anything but resolve; long turn around time for customer issues. A large portion of my day was filled with rebating and lying to customers who were charged tremendous fee's.

When I was originally contacted about employment I had interviewed for a Banker and Assistant branch manager position. I was told that it was better to become a banker and then go to a assistant branch manager because they only promote leadership from within; come to find out they hire managers with out prior banking experience. There is little room for advancement and it seems the only track that you can look forward too is becoming an assistant branch manager or branch manager. Corporate opportunities are made to seem far out of reach. Compensation was mediocre for the job performed and low compared to the industry average. I found it very hard to have a balanced work and personal life because I was at work 6 out of 7 days (Traditional branch). Lastly, they have a HIGH turnover rate, I witnessed three people leave before I made my move.

All in all.. I would NOT recommend this company to a friend.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistent training. More of a focus on treating customers fairly, and a big push away from SELLING. Wage increase so employee's actually care about their job. Hire managers that know what they're talking about.

Tough environment

Business Banking Officer (Former Employee)
Manchester, NH

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Very talented coworkers, great benefits Cons: Stressful environment where management micromanages employees More

Good pay and benefits, but difficult sales culture and lack of respect for the customer.

Personal Banker (Former Employee)
Elgin, IL

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Great benefits, amazing vacation time, and good pay. Loyalty is rewarded by upper management,… Cons: The "do anything to get sales" attitude. I was forced to do a lot of shady deals and sacrifice the best thing for the… Advice to Senior Management: Strong sales is not the sole reason someone should be promoted. Some of the best bankers became Branch Managers because they excelled in sales,… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Citizens Financial Group.

Worked for Citizens Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Citizens Financial Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Citizens Financial Group CEO Bruce Van Saun. All reviews posted anonymously by Citizens Financial Group employees.