Citizens Financial Group

www.cfgcareers.com
  www.cfgcareers.com
There are newer employer reviews for Citizens Financial Group

Things are changing, and not for the better.

Current Employee - Senior Personal Banker in Wilmington, DE
Current Employee - Senior Personal Banker in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent Salary, Great Co-workers, great customers.

Cons

Upper management is only sales focused, poor work/life balance. Always finding ways to cut your incentive or pay.

Continue to focus on customer service. Your employees want to help customers and clients, and your back up and support is needed. We are not receiving the proper support to do our job as well as we could.

421 Other Employee Reviews for Citizens Financial Group (View Most Recent)

Working for Citizens Bank was a complete nightmare.

Former Employee - Teller I in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Teller I in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are not many pros for this bank. The pay is good and worth it If and only IF you have a good manager (branch and teller).

Cons

There is not enough training on the software.
    Many managers leave it to other employees to train tellers.
    Management does not listen to employees.
    No balance between work and life.
    Be careful not to be set up by Branch Manager and Teller Manager.

Treat your tellers like human beings.
    Set better and more attainable goals.
    Watch management emails.
    Training should be handled better for software.

Think of Citizens as a career "layover" more than a destination. That's essentially what it's offering.

Current Employee - "Banker" in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - "Banker" in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It will pay the bills and you do meet some nice people.
    You are trained in how they want you to do the job.
    Very low barriers to entry.
    "Banking hours".
    Bank holidays.
    Commission, albeit modest.
    Goal-oriented motivation.
    The Assistant Branch Manager level is talented and supportive.

Cons

Branch-based retail banking is an antiquated industry, groping around in the dark for some magic strategy to stay competitive going forward. Some banks have recognized the need to change and reacted accordingly. Not here. In a way, that's "quaint". But it's also "head in the sand", hoping that the world somehow got it wrong and we're not in a new technology-driven era.
    "Carrots and sticks" motivational philosophy is outdated.
    The skills and knowledge you learn are not portable to other industries:
    - You have sales goals to meet, yet you don't have the freedom to practice newer sales methodologies being used in other industries. You're either pestering customers who don't want to buy, or order-taking from those that do. You're also relying on friends and family to help meet sales goals. That's not selling in my book.
    - The technology is several decades behind what you need to learn and be using to stay ahead in today's job market.
    - Service is closest to any useful, transferable skill-set acquired here, but it's a far cry from the quality provided by other customer-facing retail industries.
    The role is demeaning on several levels: (i) senior management knows you're a dispensable resource to experiment with until they find "a better way" (ii) branch management have free rein to behave however they want with no consequences (iii) you know inside that you're now part of the "club" of dying stereotypes that most people avoid--the glad-handing used car salesman, the pushy retail sales clerk, the infomercial pitchman (iv) customers can look up most queries on their cell phones in a fraction of the time it takes to navigate through the archaic, layered platform--making you look stupid.

Employees cannot advise you. We can merely ask you to consider feedback. I would urge you to question your thinking:
    - Is branch-based selling detrimental to long-term relationships and CLV?
    - Should branch staff even have sales goals?
    - Should branches focus purely on customer service?
    - Is there a better way to sell financial services?
    - Do branch managers make the best sales managers?
    - What should "branch transformation" really mean?

There are newer employer reviews for Citizens Financial Group