Citizens Financial Group

www.cfgcareers.com
There are newer employer reviews for Citizens Financial Group

Think of Citizens as a career "layover" more than a destination. That's essentially what it's offering.

Current Employee - "Banker" in Boston, MA
Current Employee - "Banker" in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It will pay the bills and you do meet some nice people.
You are trained in how they want you to do the job.
Very low barriers to entry.
"Banking hours".
Bank holidays.
Commission, albeit modest.
Goal-oriented motivation.
The Assistant Branch Manager level is talented and supportive.

Cons

Branch-based retail banking is an antiquated industry, groping around in the dark for some magic strategy to stay competitive going forward. Some banks have recognized the need to change and reacted accordingly. Not here. In a way, that's "quaint". But it's also "head in the sand", hoping that the world somehow got it wrong and we're not in a new technology-driven era.
"Carrots and sticks" motivational philosophy is outdated.
The skills and knowledge you learn are not portable to other industries:
- You have sales goals to meet, yet you don't have the freedom to practice newer sales methodologies being used in other industries. You're either pestering customers who don't want to buy, or order-taking from those that do. You're also relying on friends and family to help meet sales goals. That's not selling in my book.
- The technology is several decades behind what you need to learn and be using to stay ahead in today's job market.
- Service is closest to any useful, transferable skill-set acquired here, but it's a far cry from the quality provided by other customer-facing retail industries.
The role is demeaning on several levels: (i) senior management knows you're a dispensable resource to experiment with until they find "a better way" (ii) branch management have free rein to behave however they want with no consequences (iii) you know inside that you're now part of the "club" of dying stereotypes that most people avoid--the glad-handing used car salesman, the pushy retail sales clerk, the infomercial pitchman (iv) customers can look up most queries on their cell phones in a fraction of the time it takes to navigate through the archaic, layered platform--making you look stupid.

Employees cannot advise you. We can merely ask you to consider feedback. I would urge you to question your thinking:
- Is branch-based selling detrimental to long-term relationships and CLV?
- Should branch staff even have sales goals?
- Should branches focus purely on customer service?
- Is there a better way to sell financial services?
- Do branch managers make the best sales managers?
- What should "branch transformation" really mean?

439 Other Employee Reviews for Citizens Financial Group (View Most Recent)

Terrible work life balance! All sales!

Current Employee - Senior Teller in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Teller in Erie, PA

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent compensation and PTO time.

Cons

It doesn't matter to them how long you've worked for the company or how many hours you're supposed to work. They will tell you at 4 that you're working until 7 because a zero day in checking accounts is "unacceptable". I've work for the company for 9 years and always have met my sales goals yet was told by my regional manager that I'm easily replaceable because I need to pick my child up ONCE a week before 5....and I'm part time!

Acquisition

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Boston, MA

I worked at Citizens Financial Group part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, pay, peers

Cons

Antiquated systems, people, corporate mentality

You drive sales or customer satisfaction. Pick one. You force accounts on us to force on customers and wonder why it negatively impacts the satisfaction scores.

There are newer employer reviews for Citizens Financial Group