There are newer employer reviews for Citizens Financial Group

Think of Citizens as a career "layover" more than a destination. That's essentially what it's offering.

Current Employee - "Banker"  in  Boston, MA
Current Employee - "Banker" in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

It will pay the bills and you do meet some nice people.
You are trained in how they want you to do the job.
Very low barriers to entry.
"Banking hours".
Bank holidays.
Commission, albeit modest.
Goal-oriented motivation.
The Assistant Branch Manager level is talented and supportive.

Cons

Branch-based retail banking is an antiquated industry, groping around in the dark for some magic strategy to stay competitive going forward. Some banks have recognized the need to change and reacted accordingly. Not here. In a way, that's "quaint". But it's also "head in the sand", hoping that the world somehow got it wrong and we're not in a new technology-driven era.
"Carrots and sticks" motivational philosophy is outdated.
The skills and knowledge you learn are not portable to other industries:
- You have sales goals to meet, yet you don't have the freedom to practice newer sales methodologies being used in other industries. You're either pestering customers who don't want to buy, or order-taking from those that do. You're also relying on friends and family to help meet sales goals. That's not selling in my book.
- The technology is several decades behind what you need to learn and be using to stay ahead in today's job market.
- Service is closest to any useful, transferable skill-set acquired here, but it's a far cry from the quality provided by other customer-facing retail industries.
The role is demeaning on several levels: (i) senior management knows you're a dispensable resource to experiment with until they find "a better way" (ii) branch management have free rein to behave however they want with no consequences (iii) you know inside that you're now part of the "club" of dying stereotypes that most people avoid--the glad-handing used car salesman, the pushy retail sales clerk, the infomercial pitchman (iv) customers can look up most queries on their cell phones in a fraction of the time it takes to navigate through the archaic, layered platform--making you look stupid.

Employees cannot advise you. We can merely ask you to consider feedback. I would urge you to question your thinking:
- Is branch-based selling detrimental to long-term relationships and CLV?
- Should branch staff even have sales goals?
- Should branches focus purely on customer service?
- Is there a better way to sell financial services?
- Do branch managers make the best sales managers?
- What should "branch transformation" really mean?

378 Other Employee Reviews for Citizens Financial Group (View Most Recent)

A good bank with big hurdles.

Current Employee - In Store Banker
    Current Employee - In Store Banker

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits package, ability to move up or around, lots of support from back office staff in various departments. Citizens is a good bank to work for. However, there have been a lot of top level changes which has lead to some uncertainty.

Cons

Compensation is lower than industry average (simply based on my own research), managers are promoted based on selling - which can lead to great sales people making poor regional managers. There has been a lot of turnover lately and it seems like the Massachusetts area is in flux.

Respect and retain your talented employees.

The Truth About Citizens Bank

Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

-pay is great, tuition reimbursement, good benefits and vacation

-many promotions and a variety of products to sell, product is easy to sell once you find the right customer

-schedule is very flexible, you will be accomodated based on business need

-expectations from upper management are very clear

-plenty of money to make if you're willing to go the extra mile

Cons

-systems and technology are outdated (but do you really wanna be replaced by mobile deposit? lol)

-customer service line/phonebank doesn't work in sync with the branches (which can frustrate some customers)

-Onboarding process will make or break you, especially if your team members are lazy/ working against you

-rumors about buyout are creating a lack of faith in the citizens brand from a customer standpoint

-wealth management/ investment program is still a work in progress and has mixed results

I'm looking at other reviews and people are slandering this company, complaining. What a shame. I come from a retail sales background. To be quite honest we are getting paid handsomely to do what people in walmart or bestbuy are doing for next to nothing.

This company is not perfect, but if you are a self-starter and have a will to succeed then you will do fine here. Yes, the sales pressure is high, but if you want to make some money and keep your job, YOU'LL FIGURE IT OUT. Your success is contigent upon how far you're willing to go.

Upper Management! Please, clean house! Find out who has no motivation to work here as well as the people who do dishonest work, and fire them all. It will make all of our lives easier. The biggest problem I'm seeing is that too many people don't care or don't want to make the effort to work here. Fire them and find motivated people who want to make some money!

There are newer employer reviews for Citizens Financial Group

Worked for Citizens Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!