Citizens Financial Group

www.cfgcareers.com

Think of Citizens as a career "layover" more than a destination. That's essentially what it's offering.

"Banker" (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIt will pay the bills and you do meet some nice people.
You are trained in how they want you to do the job.
Very low barriers to entry.
"Banking hours".
Bank holidays.
Commission, albeit modest.
Goal-oriented motivation.
The Assistant Branch Manager level is talented and supportive.

ConsBranch-based retail banking is an antiquated industry, groping around in the dark for some magic strategy to stay competitive going forward. Some banks have recognized the need to change and reacted accordingly. Not here. In a way, that's "quaint". But it's also "head in the sand", hoping that the world somehow got it wrong and we're not in a new technology-driven era.
"Carrots and sticks" motivational philosophy is outdated.
The skills and knowledge you learn are not portable to other industries:
- You have sales goals to meet, yet you don't have the freedom to practice newer sales methodologies being used in other industries. You're either pestering customers who don't want to buy, or order-taking from those that do. You're also relying on friends and family to help meet sales goals. That's not selling in my book.
- The technology is several decades behind what you need to learn and be using to stay ahead in today's job market.
- Service is closest to any useful, transferable skill-set acquired here, but it's a far cry from the quality provided by other customer-facing retail industries.
The role is demeaning on several levels: (i) senior management knows you're a dispensable resource to experiment with until they find "a better way" (ii) branch management have free rein to behave however they want with no consequences (iii) you know inside that you're now part of the "club" of dying stereotypes that most people avoid--the glad-handing used car salesman, the pushy retail sales clerk, the infomercial pitchman (iv) customers can look up most queries on their cell phones in a fraction of the time it takes to navigate through the archaic, layered platform--making you look stupid.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees cannot advise you. We can merely ask you to consider feedback. I would urge you to question your thinking:
- Is branch-based selling detrimental to long-term relationships and CLV?
- Should branch staff even have sales goals?
- Should branches focus purely on customer service?
- Is there a better way to sell financial services?
- Do branch managers make the best sales managers?
- What should "branch transformation" really mean?

Worst job experience of my life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bridgeport, CT

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Flexible schedules offered, decent benefits and comparative salaries Cons: No clear cut goals and objects Sub par talent Ineffective management Highly "matrixed" to the point of ineffectiveness Absolutely no career… Advice to Senior Management: Hire super stars to develop a clear product road map that are compelling and competitive… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Unfortunately customer satisfaction takes a back seat.

Personal Banker (Current Employee) New Castle, PA

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros: Somewhat reachable incentive program, healthcare, PTO Cons: Very micromanaged, sales goals can be unrealistic, cliques, no work/life… Advice to Senior Management: Focus more on the customers and less on pushing products on people who don't truly need… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Citizens Financial Group.

Worked for Citizens Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!