Citizens Financial Group

www.cfgcareers.com
  www.cfgcareers.com
There are newer employer reviews for Citizens Financial Group

Overall a quality organization, but too bureaucratic

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people, lots of education and training opportunities, enlightened view of work/life balance for a big company

Cons

Outdated technology tools, overly complex organization that makes it difficult to get answers/ find information

Invest in current hardware/software tools, streamline decision making processes

420 Other Employee Reviews for Citizens Financial Group (View Most Recent)

Advancement opportunity

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group

Pros

Culture is good if you know what you're doing

Cons

You could get drown from all the paperwork you're required to do everyday

One of the worst employers I have ever worked for

Former Employee - Senior Teller in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Teller in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's hard to think of something good to say... no, I actually cannot think of one thing. If you haven't watched the documentary on RBS in the UK (the company that owns Citizens), I'd highly recommend it to get an idea of the type of culture upper-management is promoting.

I had relatives that worked in other retail branches that are (thankfully) no longer employed by CFG, so I can now say what I really think.

Cons

Where to begin...

-- Zero Class:

One of my relatives recently retired after working at the same branch for 15+ years... they told her to work the weekend AFTER her official retire-date (which she told them about a month in advance) because she "wouldn't be doing anything anyway", and her big send-off was a "GOODBYE!" on the employee schedule the week she was leaving. What a nice way to send someone into retirement after 15+ years of service.

Regional Manager talked to another of my relatives, a teller with 2 years experience, like she was a child -- asked her "Do you understand how a checkbook works?" because there was an outstanding balance on her LOC. Branch Manager yelled in her face and embarrassed her in front of customers.

-- Branch Management:
    managers in retail branches and regional directors are extremely unprofessional (I've worked at 2 or 3 different branches and dealt with multiple regional managers, so I have a good sense of the overall culture, not just for 1 branch).

-- Development:
    Peers and managers do just enough to get by, no initiative takers or outside-the-box thinkers; this culture and work ethic permeates down to the newest hire

-- High Pressure Sales Environment:
    managers push tellers to sell products that are lackluster and add no benefit for the customers we service; just selling customers something for the sake of selling. If you don't hit your "sales goals" each quarter, you are given warnings and can be terminated. Tellers aren't sellers, they're there to take deposits and maintain customer accounts. Terrible business model.

-- Office Politics:
    highly political environment; e.g. someone who did 10x less work than I did was promoted over me because he was a favorite of the branch manager. I'm glad now that I didn't get promoted.

I'd go on, but this is getting ridiculously long.

Stop treating your employees like dirt; hire professionals that can manage people without all the politics. Invest in your employees (time and money). Pay your people more so they can serve your customer better, instead of spending millions on candy that customers couldn't care less about.

There are newer employer reviews for Citizens Financial Group