Citrix is a good place to work in South Florida

Current Employee - Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
Current Employee - Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Citrix Systems

Pros

- Exposed to cutting edge technology
- Fast pace environment
- Technology leader in South Florida

Cons

- Citrix needs to make a better job promoting people fairly

Advice to Management

- Performance evaluations should be 360 degrees

reviews filtered by
  1. Lots of good smart people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Citrix Systems

Pros

Many very smart people to work with, in general management is good about keeping open communications and promoting employee growth. Company does a good job of promoting fun work environment. Benefit packages and perks are good and well worth it. Get to live and work in south Florida near the beach. Benefits and pay are comparable to California more than Miami/Fort Lauderdale which means you are compensated well but don't expect to find local employment competition if you decide to look elsewhere.

Cons

Biggest show in town so not a lot of alternatives around if you decide you don't like Citrix. My biggest complaint was lack of work life balance. It was not uncommon to need to work weekends or late and often the parking lot was half full with developers cars on weekends. Many of the employees are younger and unmarried and the married ones often don't have children so it is sometimes difficult to get understanding about wanting to be home with your family. One developer I was working with one weekend ended up missing his sons birthday party because they needed him to come in a weekend to make last minute changes. Biggest issue is there is no control of feature creep and during initial product spec'ing, features will be removed for lack of time or man power but the next day they will be added back in as a change request. This is a problem because it means the very feature that we knew there was no time for has to be shoe-horned into the product schedule.

Advice to Management

Product development has a strict spec'ing process with work estimates all along the way. This process is great and needs to be respected, and dropping features form the official release schedule just to re-add them as a change request the next day does nothing more than cause estimates to be overly inflated. For the product features for which I was the team lead we often had to add in extra time buffers for this very reason because we knew it was a given that more stuff would be added in the change request then what a tight time budget could manage. If your going to have formal processes for this sort of thing then respect and use them otherwise you might as well not have them.

Stay away from marketing department

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Citrix Systems

Pros

Good pay
    Cool technology
    Excellent flexible work environment

Cons

Micro managing executives
    Disorganized leadership
    Low morale

Advice to Management

You're rotting from within. Beware. Certain execs who talk the talk to the public should be kept far away from those who actually do the work.