City Year

www.cityyear.org
  www.cityyear.org
There are newer employer reviews for City Year

Give a year. A really really long year.

Current Employee - Senior Corps Member in Columbia, SC
Current Employee - Senior Corps Member in Columbia, SC

I have been working at City Year

Pros

City Year has a great culture and is well known in the community. We get free access to movie theaters, discounts at restaurants, and leave work each day knowing that we have made a difference in the lives of others.

Cons

It's really difficult work. 11 hour days are more common that shorter days. It's been a challenging year for sure. The biggest issue I have is that you feel very very unsupported. That's the worst part of the job, by far.

There has to be some kind of better support given to corps members without sacrificing the mission. I think City Year needs to leave AmeriCorps in order to provide staff better support w/o losing out on the "Ed Award" given by AmeriCorps each year.

192 Other Employee Reviews for City Year (View Most Recent)

Personally fulfilled, professionally unfulfilled

Former Employee - Recruitment Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Recruitment Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at City Year

Pros

Doing great work for youth

Cons

The work is tiring and can be insular

Own your CY experience

Current Employee - Senior Corps Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Corps Member in New York, NY

I have been working at City Year

Pros

City Year across the board does amazing work. I wish that it had 10 times the funding, as it is meeting a critical need, by providing positive mentors and role models to students at risk of not graduating high school in 4 years, or at all. As far as non-profits go, it's extremely organized, and constantly working to improve its methods.

I'm nearing the end of my second year with City Year, and am extremely grateful for the experience and growth it has given me. I've grown so much in my time here. Your City Year experience is what you make of it. If you understand and work with the culture pieces, and take advantage of the resources within the organization, City Year can be a life changing experience. If you fight the culture pieces (especially the uniform), you're going to have a very difficult year. Expect to work hard, and don't plan on being out of work before 6:30.

City Year allows you to work on diverse teams of 8-13 young people in under resourced schools, tutoring and mentoring students. These kids are some of the most inspiring people I've ever met. Your team makes you stronger.

Within City Year, there are AMAZING, talented people who work very hard to further City Year's mission. I have learned something from every single person on our staff.

Cons

Sometimes City Year does make things more difficult or stressful than it needs to be. During initiative heavy times of the year especially, the corps is exhausted.

The stipend is rough to live on, but there are ways to make it work.

Providing more opportunities for professional development that don't take CMs out of service, especially shadowing. Allowing 1st year CMs to shadow their TLs or other senior corps earlier in the year would also be helpful.

There are newer employer reviews for City Year