City Year

Life Changing!

Current Employee - Senior Corps Member in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Senior Corps Member in Denver, CO

I have been working at City Year

Pros

LOVE THE WORK I DO as a Full Time Americorps Volunteer

Cons

LONG HOURS working in a school.

Be FLexible

188 Other Employee Reviews for City Year (View Most Recent)

An opportunity filled with challenges that have helped me develop into a better leader and person.

Current Employee - Corps Member in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Washington, DC

I have been working at City Year

Pros

There is no other education-based non-for-profit organization that is as hands on and effective as City Year. I have been given multiple Life After City Year trainings to help me develop professionally, and I have been given numerous community service opportunities that have challenged me and helped me grow. The best part though is knowing your hard work has a direct effect on a young person's life.

Cons

The most difficult things about working at City Year are the hours and people with whom we work. The regular work day at City Year is about 10 hours, but it is easy to find yourself clocking in with 60 or more hours in a week. The other difficult part are the children with whom we work. The rude attitude of some of the students, or knowing that they are dealing with things outside of school no child should.

The management at City Year DC is phenomenal. They are supportive, upbeat, and ready to help corps members out in any capacity.

I think City Year not only prepares us well to serve our schools, but also helps shapes us into leaders.

Current Employee - City Year Corps Member in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - City Year Corps Member in Boston, MA

I have been working at City Year

Pros

-idealistic goal of the organization is to address the dropout crisis currently facing our country
    -as a corps member, you have the privilege of working with a diverse group of young, idealistic people
    -emphasis on team work
    -provides many opportunities for leadership development
    -offers a comprehensive mentorship program to develop career plans after City Year

Cons

-long hours (average 48 hours a week) for a bi-weekly stipend
    -only 1 month of training prior to going into schools
    -changes/announcements/calls to service made in short notice (especially for additional community service projects that corps members are assigned to volunteer for)

-work on improving communication across schools and within the organization between headquarters, program managers, senior corps members and corps members
    -allow more time for training before entering schools (and therefore more planning time with school administration and staff prior to starting the school year)

There are newer employer reviews for City Year