City Year
www.cityyear.org Cleveland, OH 150 to 499 Employees

Misguided nonprofit with suffocating culture

Corps Member (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

ProsMeet some interesting people, gain experience working in schools that need a lot of help. Get to plan and organize volunteer events in the community. A good opportunity to work with children and learn about teaching. You get a unique view of the problems that face public schools in America today.

ConsAwful, suffocating, cult-like culture that is embarrassing to anybody with self-respect. Basically a year-long summer camp. Organization tries to straddle the fence by achieving results in the classroom and hiring unqualified individuals who become "professional development" projects. This just results in a lot of lazy and inexperienced workers quitting or getting fired. What a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide whether you want results or "professional development" to be the focus of your work

Life Changing!

Senior Corps Member (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

I have been working at City Year

Pros: LOVE THE WORK I DO as a Full Time Americorps… Cons: LONG HOURS working in a school. Advice to Senior Management: Be FLexible Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

An opportunity filled with challenges that have helped me develop into a better leader and person.

Corps Member (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

I have been working at City Year

Pros: There is no other education-based non-for-profit organization that is as hands on and effective as City Year. I have been given multiple Life After… Cons: The most difficult things about working at City Year are the hours and people with whom we work. The regular work day at City… Advice to Senior Management: The management at City Year DC is phenomenal. They are… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on City Year.

Worked for City Year? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at City Year reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for City Year CEO Michael Brown. All reviews posted anonymously by City Year employees.