Amazing year of meaningful service and self-discovery

Current Employee - Corps Member  in  Boston, MA
Current Employee - Corps Member in Boston, MA

I have been working at City Year as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

-Get to impact the lives of children and help the education inequality in the US
-Great support from Senior Corps, Staff, and Headquarters
-Ability to network and be promoted within City Year
-Great experience in working on a diverse team

Cons

-Living on an Americorp stipend
-Work life balance could be tricky if you time management is not your strongest suit

N/A

Other Reviews for City Year

One of the most degrading experiences of my life.

Former Employee - Corps Member  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Denver, CO

I worked at City Year full-time for less than a year

Pros

I felt that I made a significant impact while working with City Year in Denver. I built strong relationships with students and I demonstrated a measurable impact on academic growth and achievement with so many of my students. The work hours are fairly brutal and the rules and constraints holding you to an extremely high degree of professionalism are important. I benefited greatly from them. The tools to develop professionalism are there. The Corps is also highly diverse and accepting of people from all walks of life. I respect and appreciate a great deal of their culture that embraces the spirit of diversity and the multiplicity of voices.

Cons

Where do I begin? I'm not sure what sort of internal inquiry or study verified the merits of the current culture in place. Whatever is keeping City Year's culture in place in its current condition needs to stop. The culture is suffocating, the uniform is suffocating and the management procedures are insufferable. City Year is very much designed to engage the professional development of its corps. People just out of college are expected to entertain the professional development seminars with people just out of high school. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but requires a great deal of self restraint from inane comments and discussion.

*It should be noted that each Corps differs from year to year and it is important to consider the startup nature of CY Denver. Keep this in mind while evaluating the organization.

I could easily write a extremely long critique of City Year but continuing to write is actually painful for me. I feel like a had a year of my life stolen that I can never get back. I stuck it out because of the relationships I had built with students and the commitment I made to myself to perform service. That being said I have CY Denver two stars and not one because it could be something great. It has the potential. It simply wasn't the right organization for ME and thats an important distinction. If you require a great deal of structure, have an untaped well of boundless energy and feel truly idealistic about the future of America, consider it. Finally, if you have a great deal of work experience, take yourself seriously and don't consider the masochistic nature of 50 hour work weeks for hardly any pay, become a paraprofessional at a school or consider TFA. Para's are in demand in nearly every major city and it is a great opportunity to work on getting a teachers license/teaching in a less traditional but highly engaging way.

Find a better use of Friday time. Hire more competent team leaders, there was a 50% success rate in that department. Fire people who are incompetent. Padding your corps body with shoddy volunteers for the sake of meeting demographic numbers demonstrates a lack of integrity in a very real way. Growth is important especially in a city like Denver but if you can't establish a reputation as a selective organization that holds itself to a certain standard you will not have any respect. Heard about the uniform upgrade, good job. You listened, thank you. Good luck this year, I hope infancy is smoother than labor.

Great Opportunity, Poor Management/Direction

Former Employee - Corps Member  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at City Year full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Help save the world!
    -Great Company and ideals, generally good co-workers and working environment
    -highly self-motivated; you get the opportunity to do/create any project you might be interested in
    -lots of upward movement w/in the organization

Cons

-a lot of the management staff comes up through the volunteer activities and don't necessarily have the skills to be effective managers
    -if you need advice/guidance it can be hard to find b/c things are so self-driven
    -seems to be unspoken expectations of planned events/activities that you're not told you're expected to complete, or not told till last minute

-More monitoring of PMs and their relationship with teams
    -PMs need to spend time with both/all teams they manage and be available and accessible to those teams
    -Be upfront about team expectations

There are newer employer reviews for City Year.

Worked for City Year? Contribute to the Community!