There are newer employer reviews for City Year

Great mission and organization, leadership needs help

Former Employee - Development in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Development in San Jose, CA

I worked at City Year full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, committed coworkers, real impact on students.

Cons

Hard to grow at the organization, under payed for similar positions at other nonprofits, leadership is not properly vetted.

Advice to Management

Seek more training on leadership. Take more time off so that when you come to work, you are 100% committed and ready to serve.

reviews filtered by

Your just a slave

Current Employee - Corps Member in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Year full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Kind of useful life experience.

Cons

That treat people like dogs

It's not going to get better unless people speak out

Former Contractor - City Year Corps Member in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Contractor - City Year Corps Member in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at City Year as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

None. It's a terrible place.

Cons

-I actually worked at the Philadelphia site, but as all corps members know, most City Year staffers are TERRIFIED of everyone at Headquarters, to the point where they will lie to Headquarters, scream at corps members, and punish anyone who lets on to Headquarters what really goes on at City Year sites.

-For example, City Year holds a huge conference at the end of the school year every year for all of its members across the network (It's called Cyzygy). There are many Q-and-As with City Year management and the CEO will encourage corps members to ask questions and express their opinions. At the Philadelphia site, all Philadelphia employees were required to get their questions cleared by management and would be prohibited from speaking if Philadelphia didn't like their questions. It was all very Maoist.

-Corps Members also weren't really allowed to sleep during Cyzygy and we were only allotted 5-6 hours to sleep. One of my colleagues (who suffered from depression), complained to leadership that the lack of sleep was affecting her health. No one cared.

-Another example, during my corps year, a colleague of mine emailed Headquarters because she was displeased with the conference roommate arrangements. Philadelphia management found out about the email and pulled this woman into an office and berated her. "Now we have to keep [Headquarters] updated," they snapped. Being unused to any sort of accountability, City Year Greater Philadelphia was really displeased about telling Headquarters that their site was less than perfect.

Advice to Management

- Your staff is lying to you. You should look a little deeper at what is going on.

-My advice to current corps members: If you are being harassed or lied to at your site, call or email Headquarters with your complaints just for kicks. Yes, you will be punished at your site, but you can always quit and it will be empowering for you to get the top brass to listen to you. There's no reason a reading or math tutor should have to put up with psychological torture. Just invoke the whislerblower clause or something.

There are newer employer reviews for City Year