There are newer employer reviews for City Year

It's hard to imagine working for a better organization

I have been working at City Year full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a really positive and team oriented culture, very supportive of people's personal and professional development. I've found many opportunities for leadership and growth, enjoyed my work and my team, and made some great friends along the way. The work is inspiring because the organization has a great mission that has become more focused over the years, and gradually the organization has become better run, better resourced, and more aligned overall. I have referred several friends to apply because I believe it's such a great place to work.

Cons

People put their all into the work which leaves little room for work life balance. There is some disconnect between staff at local sites versus HQ. Growth opportunities can be somewhat dependent on openings when other people leave, and although they try to reward hard workers with more responsibility, almost everyone is underpaid, typical of the nonprofit sector. The staff overall is young, which can be fun and energetic, but sometimes lacking in perspective.

There is a long way to go to figure out better communication and alignment between sites and HQ. Site staff often feel under-resourced and over-pressured by HQ staff. The budget and compensation structure is really inconsistent from site to site, but there is a general consensus that people could use more resources.

181 Other Employee Reviews for City Year (View Most Recent)

Welcoming, passionate work environment

I worked at City Year as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, very welcoming of a young intern
    Employees very passionate about their role at City Year

Cons

None that stood out...perhaps a more refined intern program would make more use of us

The most challenging thing I have done, but also the most rewarding.

Current Employee - Corps Member in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Corps Member in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at City Year full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Large of experience in education and in community outreach, Great teamwork and leadership development, Education Award will help a great deal in paying off my student loans, Many chances to meet people from all walks of life, including leaders from large companies and community organizations. Will help a long way with any further non-profit or NGO work.

Cons

Lack of respect from school staff and teacher partners, very little balance between home life and work life, Very Long Hours, Only semi-useful trainings, The site as a whole did not receive the complete uniform until February, more than halfway through the corps year.

Continue to improve the relevancy of corps member trainings and corps member advocacy

There are newer employer reviews for City Year