City Year

www.cityyear.org

It's hard to imagine working for a better organization

ProsIt's a really positive and team oriented culture, very supportive of people's personal and professional development. I've found many opportunities for leadership and growth, enjoyed my work and my team, and made some great friends along the way. The work is inspiring because the organization has a great mission that has become more focused over the years, and gradually the organization has become better run, better resourced, and more aligned overall. I have referred several friends to apply because I believe it's such a great place to work.

ConsPeople put their all into the work which leaves little room for work life balance. There is some disconnect between staff at local sites versus HQ. Growth opportunities can be somewhat dependent on openings when other people leave, and although they try to reward hard workers with more responsibility, almost everyone is underpaid, typical of the nonprofit sector. The staff overall is young, which can be fun and energetic, but sometimes lacking in perspective.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a long way to go to figure out better communication and alignment between sites and HQ. Site staff often feel under-resourced and over-pressured by HQ staff. The budget and compensation structure is really inconsistent from site to site, but there is a general consensus that people could use more resources.

Welcoming, passionate work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at City Year as an intern for less than a year

Pros: Great work environment, very welcoming of a young intern Employees very… Cons: None that stood out...perhaps a more refined intern program would… More

The most challenging thing I have done, but also the most rewarding.

Corps Member (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

I have been working at City Year full-time for less than a year

Pros: Large of experience in education and in community outreach, Great teamwork and leadership development, Education Award will help a great deal in paying off my… Cons: Lack of respect from school staff and teacher partners, very little balance between home life and work life, Very Long Hours, Only… Advice to Senior Management: Continue to improve the relevancy of corps member trainings and… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on City Year.

Worked for City Year? Contribute to the Community!