Good place to work

Current Employee - Corps Member in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Corps Member in Seattle, WA

I have been working at City Year full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like this job a lot but they require so much from you that it can get stressful. Also, don't get overwhelmed by the culture. Just go with the flow.
The staff is amazing. They want you to do the best you can and learn what you can from your year of service. I feel 100% supported by the staff. All are hardworking people.

Cons

Over worked and not much pay... but I didn't do this for the pay so its ok. Also, I'm living fine off of the stipened.

reviews filtered by
  1. Helped Kids and kept them on track to graduate

I have been working at City Year full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good cause in helping the children in at need schools get on track to graduate.
    Wonderful people from many different backgrounds

Cons

Long Hours (10+ each day of the week)
    Little direct pay (some benefits provided but pay is less than minimum wage since it is an Americorps program)

2. Great mind-opening work experience for a fresh college grad; rough work/life balance

Former Employee - Corps Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-You'll be given many opportunities to manage and lead peers. You'll frequently feel a bit in-over-your head, dealing with the unexpected crises that come with working in an urban school, but if you can take the pressure you'll learn a lot. Technically I have a BA degree but in terms of the "real world," my real education came from my corps year.
    -CY works on a front line of one of America's biggest social justice issues. The fulfillment that comes from this cannot be overstated. Every job I've had since has felt empty in comparison.
    -Your coworkers, including upper management at the site, will be some of the most amazing human beings you'll meet. It takes a certain quality of person to do this kind of work long-term.

Cons

-It's tough to say whether the City Year "culture" is a pro or a con, a lot of what makes the experience unique comes from their CY lingo, team chants, etc. For the most part I got a kick out of it but the slim majority of my coworkers found it belittling. You're told to be professional one minute then do banana jumping jacks the next.
    -Work/life balance is non-existent and the tasks occasionally unfocused. You'll show up at 7am, stay at school until 5-7pm, then half the time have some additional misc. task to be done at the downtown office (long commute?) until even later. The heavy teamwork emphasis can make this uncomfortable for those who just don't have that amount of time on their hands. 60hr work weeks are the norm.

Advice to Management

Quality > quantity.