City and County of San Francisco

www.sfgov.org
  www.sfgov.org
There are newer employer reviews for City and County of San Francisco

Compiled documents and input property tax refund requests into the database.

Former Employee - 1630 Account Clerk, Temp As-Needed Basis in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - 1630 Account Clerk, Temp As-Needed Basis in San Francisco, CA

I worked at City and County of San Francisco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like the various data research and challenging reasons why homeowners claim that they want or are entitled to their property tax reassessment refunds. I also like the repetitive balancing and primarily routine input descriptions into the database. An occasional opportunity to contact a homeowner for more of their record information and to thank him or her for this help makes for a positive short-term satisfactory relationship between the homeowner and the assigned employee.

Cons

Oftentimes homeowners' and assessment documents are incomplete, and the property owners sometimes may not entirely understand the the City and County of San Francisco's policy plus internal control and the time it requires to compile proper documentation for proper input to the dababase, obtain the supervisor's approval, and finally, obtain the controller's approvals in order to process their refund requests so accounting can cut and mail out the refund checks. I have even seen checks returned back due do incorrect mailing addresses because the affected homeowners have either moved away or does not occupy his/her property for some other reason. Back log orders and some time pressures make concentration to accurately submit request orders frustrating at times.

I would like to see more stability of the staff functioning. Temporary, as needed worker status (of up to every 6 months) means that the City must have their already overwhelmed permanent employees welcome and retrain the continuous pool of newly qualified candidates on an often frustrating level on an ongoing basis. This type of staffing situation makes necessary time off for vacation, family, sick time or vacations great challenges for the permanent workers and could even be very hazardous to their health and livelihoods, regardless of their tolerance levels.

i have no critical comments to state other than the fact that the human resources department observes how much personal and sick time affected employees may require off. The situation should be updated by the OSHA regulations on an ongoing basis. I think that the permanent worker status is more stable and productive and a less costly option in the end. Please also note that the Obamacare health reform is going into effect starting in January 2014 and may be considered a cost reducing option. Thank you.

66 Other Employee Reviews for City and County of San Francisco (View Most Recent)

Truck Driver

Current Employee - Truck Driver in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at City and County of San Francisco (more than an year)

Pros

I contribute to beautify the city

Cons

I don't have a full time

We need assigned time to wash vehicles

"burn 'em out and churn 'em out"

Former Employee - Rec Leader II in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Rec Leader II in San Francisco, CA

I worked at City and County of San Francisco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Sometimes you get to work in a park setting which can be chill. Many of the employees are San Francisco natives that really care about the culture and the Parks Department.

Cons

Hiring only for 975 hours, then they lay you off for a year. $13 an hour, no benefits, no opportunity for advancement. Management mainly hires younger workers and once your hours are up, there goes your job. Dept Manager is a recent transplant from East Coast, a lawyer who does not understand SF's culture. Wants to privatize all public parks.

Listen to your employees. Offer opportunity for advancement, the current employment culture of working people hard, not letting them move up, and then laying them off is demoralizing.

There are newer employer reviews for City and County of San Francisco