City of Austin Texas

www.austintexas.gov
  www.austintexas.gov
There are newer employer reviews for City of Austin Texas

Working at CTM is a mixed bag. Good coworkers, shaky senior management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at City of Austin Texas

Pros

Good benefits. Like working to make Austin a good place to work and live. Good coworkers. Opportunities to work on challenging projects.

Cons

CMT has had much turnover at the highest levels. There is very little communication and direction from Senior Management. Too little resources available to work on too many IT projects. Too much approvals needed to advance projects.. too many obstacles to succeed.

Work on project intake process. Hire qualified CIO.

36 Other Employee Reviews for City of Austin Texas (View Most Recent)

The Municipal Roller Coaster, Amongst Friends.

Former Employee - Management Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Management Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at City of Austin Texas

Pros

The employees supported each other through the rough economic times, and for many of my 19 years I honestly felt like I had an extended family. The City of Austin went through many growing pains during my tenure and the staff had to handle heavy work loads and doing more with less , but we always pulled through, together. Even with 700+ employees in one department, we took great pride in our work, and knew our fellow employees shared in our accomplishments... we were making a difference.

Cons

During my tenure we had eight different City Managers,(CM). One CM liked to move functions between departments. Our budgets were set in October, and by December he would announce a reorganization which kept our finance people constantly confused. After he left the position, we found quite a large budget deficit at a time when additional revenue resources were drying up. It took the City about 7 years to fix the shortfall, and in the meantime employees didn't get raises, or have any chance of professional training. That was tough.

Politics and Politicians -- At times Council Members would question the professionalism of the City Staff when awarding contracts for building projects....at one meeting they went through a roofing bid line by line, questioning unit costs etc. (This man was a real estate agent by profession.) Ridiculous.

City Manager and Assistant Managers -
    * Ensure you provide your Directors with clear expectations and boundaries provide timely feedback on their progress toward meeting their goals.
    * Clear communication with the Mayor and City Council is essential. Do not allow molehills to grow out of proportion and waste the taxpayers mighty dollar by having five staff members run around gathering unnecessary paperwork because you don't know how to say "No".
    * Listen to the professionals and trust their expertise.
    * Praise your City Workers. They deserve it.

The City is a good organization.

I have been working at City of Austin Texas full-time

Pros

The organization is very people oriented.

Cons

Three is a lack of upward mobility.

There are newer employer reviews for City of Austin Texas