City of Boulder

www.bouldercolorado.gov
  www.bouldercolorado.gov
There are newer employer reviews for City of Boulder

One of my best work environments.

Former Employee - Urban Parks Laborer in Boulder, CO
Former Employee - Urban Parks Laborer in Boulder, CO

I worked at City of Boulder

Pros

There is a net of trust and accountability within the job that creates a environment that healthily gives its employees the trust, respect, and responsibilities that one would expect with the job. Personally, it was an environment that I found easy to work in, even though the job consistently challenged me with more potential responsibilities and time constraints. Also, the opportunities for overtime if you are passionate for getting more hours in are abound. Just bring it up to your supervisor if you feel you want the time.

Cons

With the respect and trust that the management gives, there can be a degree of misdirection on some days if there wasn't much to do (Rainy days for example). I felt that I could direct myself and manage my own time when I had access to my usual duties, but on days where the job couldn't be done, there was occasionally a lot of anxiety over how to fill the hours.

You all seem to show that your are flustered a bit more than it is probably appropriate. It isn't something that throws me off, but on the more busy days it kinda came off as a bit of lack of control.

13 Other Employee Reviews for City of Boulder (View Most Recent)

Great pay and pretty reasonable hours for the job

I have been working at City of Boulder

Pros

I umpired for the city softball leagues and found the pay to be quite good for a part time job.

Cons

All the games were at night (6-10), and sometime players got too rowdy after drinking too much. There were a few fights that even needed to be broken up

I think a more in depth training program would really help umpires understand their roles. It would also help ensure a consistent set of rules is being followed.

A good place to work

I have been working at City of Boulder

Pros

Friendly people to work with while serving Boulder's residents. Generous vacation time after 5 years. Management generally takes what you say into consideration. Beautiful location. People stay at the city for long periods of time - sometimes their whole career.

Cons

Supervisors have a lot of discretion, which is a good thing, but if you find yourself in a personality conflict with your supervisor, you will probably not like your job. Also, people stay employed for long periods of time, which again is good, but sometimes it seems there is little opportunity for advancement, especially if you are an "administrative specialist."

Follow the recommendations from people "on the ground."

There are newer employer reviews for City of Boulder