Stable, steady, unspectacular training ground.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at City of Calgary

Pros

In most areas, the flextime and flexible work options are available and encouraged. I've worked all sorts of schedules as my job has changed--the regular 1 day off in 15 cycle, the 1 day off in 10 cycle, or the 4-day week.

I have worked significant unpaid overtime (e.g., 50+ hours in a week) probably only about 1/10 of the time, and it's usually recognized when you go above and beyond.

Typically, the top 20% of our staff are as good as anyone else I've ever worked with. Some of them are worth 25 - 40% more in the private sector, and sometimes they take those opportunities--but sometimes, they don't!

Cons

The pay is not the best; if you want money, look elsewhere. I used to recruit for one area of the City, and we regularly lost out on salary--asking people to come in for $20K less and more responsibility...really good recruiting tool!

In terms of innovation and new ideas, things are changing demographically--we no longer have most of our staff in the 25+ year bracket; instead, we have a "U" shape, with most of our staff <10 years and >25 years with the City, so that helps innovation, but will likely hurt execution.

The biggest downside is that you can feel like a cog in the machine; my best days were those when I was connected to citizens or doing something that felt like it was directly connected to citizens. My worst--well, I wasn't.

Three big pieces of advice:

1. You're all dedicated, competent, hard-working people. Show yourselves a bit more. As it is, I only see most of the General Managers or City Manager in passing in the hallways, and have only once seen a former City Manager do a presentation to a cross-section of employees.

2. Make the connection to your Corporate Management Team from the ALT. The CMT and their L5 reports are the ones who make or break your strategies and goals--and it's amusing to see how much they can get twisted along the way.

3. Get clear about our goals. "Deliver quality public service" isn't a goal. It's a pablum statement. A goal needs to inspire and elevate us, and encourage us to ask questions like "Will this activity / action support the City's goal?"

Other Reviews for City of Calgary

AVOID IT Jobs

Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at City of Calgary

Pros

I had heard that it was a huge organization and there were many different areas of operations. So, there would be many opportunities for me. I found that this was not true as IT were all centralized into one hive hierarchy overseen by a new director that didn't seem to be in touch.

Clients in the business areas are getting nailed. Expected to delivery more services for less money need and want to get more IT services to achieve this. Not!!

IT is being rationed and the business operational areas are being squeezed. Being left out of key decision making.

Too many dinosaurs

Cons

No support for IT; New director is bad for morale and not able to communicate. Director not able to understand pressures being placed on staff.

No training. No learning opportunities.
    Stagnant, unwilling to change, no communication, outdated, wastes money

Doing things the same way will always get you the same results.

Good place for those looking to slow down

Former Employee - Process Accountant  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Process Accountant in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at City of Calgary

Pros

Work life balance, good pension plan, job stability. The city is a good place to start building your career especially as somebody fresh out of school. There is enough challenge, and in spite of what most people think, goverment workers at the city do work hard. You will learn a lot and be ready for your leap to oil and gas.

Cons

Advancement based on union/city/manager needs not performance
    Low paying relative to oil and gas
    Pension plan drains paycheque for those who are just starting out and need every penny
    The unions are tough to swallow as they restrict workers from being flexible, taking on tasks outside of their job description etc. etc. There is no need for a union in the 21st century.

Be concerned with the fact that you will have a lot of people retiring soon and you will not have competent people to replace them with as most young people will stay at the city enough to get some work experience and then leave.

There are newer employer reviews for City of Calgary.

Worked for City of Calgary? Contribute to the Community!