City of Carlsbad

www.carlsbadca.gov

I like my job, my co-workers, and our patrons, but the pay and benefits are non-existant.

Former Employee - Carlsbad City Library
Former Employee - Carlsbad City Library

Pros

The hours are flexible, there is flexibility and freedom in the performance of job duties. The staff and most of the patrons are friendly and pleasant to work with.

Cons

Most positions are part time with no benefits, no paid vacations, no holidays, or sick leave, no health insurance or retirement benefits of any kind, and no raises. Also, within the last couple years, there has been an increase in disrespect shown to public employees by the general public. You have to really enjoy this job and have another source of income to work there.

Carlsbad is a wonderful city in a nice area. The city is doing well financially and has a large reserve. Don't nickel and dime your employees or outsource city jobs.

Other reviews for City of Carlsbad

Fun times at Kids Camp

Former Employee - Recreational Counselor  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Recreational Counselor in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

Fun staff. Walked to the beach and had great field trips.

Cons

No pay raise after 4 years.

Hire competent senior rec leaders.

Not keeping up with cost of living in this area

Current Employee - Carlsbad City Library  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Carlsbad City Library in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

We work in a team environment and most of the employees and supervisors are great to work with. The public attitude has improved towards public employees in the last couple years as the tea party looses their influence. The job is flexible and I am able to make my own decisions about how to perform my job duties. I have freedom from being micro-managed and feel that most of the bosses trust our judgment to do what needs to be done.

Cons

This is an affluent city and the cost of living is high here. In the last 6 years we have received only one cost of living adjustment which amounted to 25 cents per hour. We do not get any other type of pay increases, yet the minimum wage in the state increased by $1 per hour on July 1. So, we are falling behind. This city should be embarrassed by the way they look after their employees. Most of us are hourly employees who do not receive any benefits. On top of this, new employees do not receive social security credit for working here because of a loophole that the city found to get around paying social security taxes for hourly employees. Note: These are employees who do not have a pension or any type of benefits not even sick leave, holiday, or vacation pay. I would not recommend this job to anyone who is not independently wealthy.

Quit trying to save money at the expense of your employees. Stop hiring managers who come in and cut back and outsource jobs in order to justify their own high pay. Instead take care of your employees. Workers who feel appreciated will work harder and care more about their job. Public service will improve. You will never be a world class city if you do not take care of your employees. They are the backbone of your city.
    Note: The mayor is no longer Bud Lewis. Those were the good old days when employees counted.

There are newer employer reviews for City of Carlsbad.

Worked for City of Carlsbad? Contribute to the Community!