City of Detroit

Detroit Police

Current Employee - Commander in Detroit, MI
Current Employee - Commander in Detroit, MI

I have been working at City of Detroit

Pros

community involvement, promotional opportunity, love for law enforcement.

Cons

Poor leadership and supervision, lack of involvement with lower level officer

Listen to the lowest level police officers and consider their input before making decisions.

33 Other Employee Reviews for City of Detroit (View Most Recent)

Police Work in the Detroit area

Current Employee - Chief of Police in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Chief of Police in Detroit, MI

I have been working at City of Detroit

Pros

There is a lot of overtime available for patrolman. The current benefits are very good for the area. There will be lots of retirement so there will be a possiblity for advancement.

Cons

The police department I manage is understaffed. There has recently been layoffs and the work load is heavy. Moral is poor in the department at the moment but hopefully that will change

Try to find a way to hire more officer. Dont rely on the police dept to pay the city's bills.

Good people, important work, high demand by community for services.

Former Employee - Contract Training Provider
    Former Employee - Contract Training Provider

I worked at City of Detroit

Pros

I worked primarily worked with the Workforce Development Department. The DWDD managed administrative operations and contracted with 3rd party organizations to provide a range of direct services for their customers (Job Seekers and Employers). I found it to be a very professional environment. Most of the people I worked with both in the department and from the provider organizations were great to work with. Everyone seemed to be very dedicated and worked hard to help people in the community by providing quality services. I would not recommend working in this environment unless you have a passion for helping people.

Cons

This is a very large and complex system. There was always a high demand for services that put pressure on the available resources. Some people seemed to be overwhelmed. With the current down turn in the economy, especially in this area, the demand must be at an all time high.

As with most organizations, there are a few people who carry far more then their share of the load. Pay attention to these star players and make sure they get the support and resources they need. Else, you may loose some of your best people to burnout.

There are newer employer reviews for City of Detroit