City of Hope
www.cityofhope.org Duarte, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Good experience, with typical large-company problems

Research Associate (Current Employee)
Duarte, CA

ProsClinical areas are immaculate, of course. There's free parking for visitors and employees, although most of the parking lots are quite a walk from any of the main buildings. It's very safe even at night, because there's always a security car coming around.

Benefits are good, although it's amusing that if you get cancer, you can't get treated at City of Hope without a referral unless you opt for the most expensive health plan. My immediate supervisor was fantastic, but I've seen some that are very mercurial. Everyone I've met (aside from some of the higher ups) were all very kind.

Unexpected perks included free vaccinations and flu shots, as well as the on-campus mailroom. Too bad they moved it from the middle of campus all the way out to the boonies.

ConsAlthough they are getting around to renovating all the labs, there's a definite drop in quality compared to the hospital proper. Because of the constant renovations, there's always construction going on and you sometimes have to direct lost patients/visitors. At least they send out emails about road closures.

There's also a ton of red tape. Buildings can be slated for renovation/demolition for years while they wait for a signature.

If you work in academic research, your pay will just be barely enough to live on, but that's a given wherever you are. I've seen a lot of politics play out as well.

Unfortunately, they are downsizing staff because they're expecting to lose some major lucrative patents in the next few years. Seeing some of the lavish fundraisers they put on while knowing that so many scientists have been very suddenly laid off is sometimes disheartening.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you truly care about cures, reconsider putting some of that money for fundraising back into research.

Postdoctoral Fellow at City of Hope

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)
    Duarte, CA

I have been working at City of Hope full-time for more than a year

Pros: Great place to work. Nice campus, nice people and satsfying.… Cons: As a postdoc - it depends a lot on PIs whims. Salary is meager and the pay structure is doesn't… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Internship led into future work.

Summer Research Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at City of Hope as an intern for more than 3 years

Pros: I had an summer internship there which led into a second and third summer of work, along with some remote work… Cons: Academic setting, so there's not going to be a high rate of pay.… Advice to Senior Management: Saw some disparity over time on what was wanted, with… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on City of Hope.

Worked for City of Hope? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at City of Hope reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for City of Hope CEO Robert Stone. All reviews posted anonymously by City of Hope employees.