Good place to work, great cause to work for

Current Employee - Director  in  Duarte, CA
Current Employee - Director in Duarte, CA

I have been working at City of Hope

Pros

I enjoy working at City of Hope because I know that I'm making a difference in the lives of patients and families here and around the world. I will never make the money that I might in the for-profit world, but I knowing that I'm part of changing the way cancer is treated makes it worthwhile.

Cons

First off, the location isn't the greatest. Secondly, as in all large organizations, the troops sometimes hear rumors and half-truths, before officially being informed.

Sometimes it would be helpful for communications to be delivered from management rather than to have them delivered by the rumor mill.

Other Reviews for City of Hope

Clinical Research Associate II

Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate II  in  Duarte, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate II in Duarte, CA

I have been working at City of Hope

Pros

Variety of job roles, potentially changing projects, envirnment rich with cross departamental and academic talks and learning opprtunities. Good for those who actually like academia and aren't just in clinical resaerch to be a cog - that is if you look for the oprtunities proactively - its not hard to find. International guest lectures and seminar opportunities for CME and staying current in several disciplines related to basic science and clinical research.

Cons

Pay increases are standardized - no promotion or salary increases based on merit, most peope get 3% max increase unless your in administration. 1 year interviews that are positive or highly productive don't correlate to a bonus or salary increase of more than 3%.

CRIM and Div Information Sciences need to improve communication, ease of access to services CRIM offers and collaborative efforts with the scientific researchers and div of population sciences. CRIM is there to facilitate clinical research and bridge the gap between science, clinical trials and "translational research" yet scientists find the politics and administrational hurdles hard to overcome in order to access the data mining treasure trove that CRIM holds and that Population Sciences hold as well, albeit separately and sometimes, redundantly.

RESEARCH ASSOCIATE

I have been working at City of Hope

Pros

great reputation within the cancer research community; super friendly environment; excellent health care benefits and opportunity to work with forefront leaders

Cons

Salary is lower than that of private institutions; working hours are not stable- often need to work later than expected or come in on weekends; may interfere with personal life

I think the leadership at COH is great. The newsletter and website are well written towards the general population to explain what is going on.

There are newer employer reviews for City of Hope.

Worked for City of Hope? Contribute to the Community!