City of Lakeland, FL

www.lakelandgov.net
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for City of Lakeland, FL

A good place to work, particularly if you have a family.

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Lakeland, FL
Current Employee - Database Administrator in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at City of Lakeland, FL

Pros

The time off, both in holidays and vacation and sick time is good. If you have a family, this is a definite plus. The pay has become much more equitable with the private sector, but only due to the economic downturn...salaries have fallen in other industries. The City has managed to navigate the recession with only five layoffs while other local governments have had hundreds. For those of us who have worked here over 9 years, there is a generous pension. For newer employees, there is a lesser pension, but it is better than Social Security and they have a 401k with a 5% employer match.

Cons

There have been no merit pay increases for non-union employees in three years...just raises for those who have managers/directors who fight for them with the City Manager. City management seems to cave to the unions more often than not...union employees have been paying less for the exact same pension and health benefits, though that has been brought even with non-union employees over the past year.

Stop favoring the union employees to the detriment of those who are not. Also, improve communication from the top down so we don't have to learn things going on with the City from the local newspaper.

6 Other Employee Reviews for City of Lakeland, FL (View Most Recent)

Very rewarding except in the paycheck.

Current Employee - Operation Support in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Operation Support in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at City of Lakeland, FL

Pros

You are treated with respect and the management is very easy going. You do not feel a sense of pressure to do a good job, it is something that can be internally driven.

Cons

My pay at an entry level position is very low as well as the lack of benefits is very worrysome.

I believe a greater concentration on accountability to the people should be stressed. At times people seem to be too laxadazycal in their work

Antiquated leadership

I have been working at City of Lakeland, FL full-time

Pros

You get a Pension check when you retire

Cons

Not interested in the employees only a job, no advancement or growth opportunties

There is no "I" in team, it's 2012 time to diversify