City of Richmond Virginia

www.ci.richmond.va.us

Watch Your Back

City Economist (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsAs they are desperate for talent, they will overpay on initial salary. However, raises are rare and when they do occur, they are small.

ConsPolitical environment. You work at the whim of the CAO, or Deputy CAO. It is adversarial with the City Council. There is a scandal to be dealt with every few weeks.
Insurance, retirement, etc are very meager now. If you are a long time employee, it was very generous, but this has been scaled back now due to budget problems.
Easily the least professional, least ambitious coworkers I have ever been associated with. There are a few good folks there, but most of them are lifers who have no desire or hope of making things better for the citizens.
The most talented people all figure this out and usual leave for greener pastures. If not, they are often driven out for disagreeing with upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the smart people you have working for you. Treat City Council and the counties as partners rather than enemies.

Great Introduction Into Public Sector Employment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

I have been working at City of Richmond Virginia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Working with people who passionate about they do and genuinely… Cons: "Old school" mentalities that are not objective when making promotion… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to employees who have advice on how to improve processes. A lot of times the people who are on… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Stable position but lacks growth potential, concern for employees, and quality talent.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

I have been working at City of Richmond Virginia full-time for more than a year

Pros: Stable position and free bus fare Cons: Not many raises, not a lot of desire from upper management to make… Advice to Senior Management: Make your employees happy and they will want to do… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on City of Richmond Virginia.

Worked for City of Richmond Virginia? Contribute to the Community!