Seattle Center is filled with many people that make it a great place to work.

Former Employee - Utility Laborer  in  Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Utility Laborer in Seattle, WA

I worked at City of Seattle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Seattle Center's corporate culture was terrific, for the most part, because of the tone set by its directors throughout the years. As a lower-level department supervisor, I felt that not only my opinion but that of all employees were valued by upper management, which is rare. Plus, so many of the park's employees were (and, I am sure, still are) generous, decent, good-hearted people that care for their fellow employees and the citizens of Seattle.

I got paid a living wage doing a semi-skilled blue collar job, and the health insurance benefits and pension were fantastic.

Cons

As with any large organization, there were the rare knuckleheads who tried to make the working environment miserable for others. When I first arrived, a co-worker falsely accused me of various offenses that got me into meetings with Human Resources. Management originally sided with my accuser and put me through the wringer emotionally instead of presuming the innocence of the accused. It took me a while to clear my name, and the process left me angry and wanting to seek legal action against my accuser for defamation of character, libel and slander.

The other mistakes made by my direct supervisors and/or Human Resources were mostly not informing me of my rights in certain situations. In addition to the one mentioned above, working at Seattle Center caused me to develop permanent carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists. I found out after the statute of limitations had passed that I did have a case to receive a few thousand dollars of compensation for the disability, but management didn't notify me (getting carpal tunnel syndrome doing my job was a common occurrence, and several of my colleagues did receive compensation). I felt cheated that they received something for this annoying condition and I did not.

Something similar occurred when I took time off for Family Medical Leave to care for my ailing parents living in the Midwest. I learned too late that I could have received more financial assistance than I did receive (which was nothing), but I wasn't informed of this by Human Resources. I found out this information doing my own research, albeit belatedly.

My biggest gripe is that I felt like I was presumed guilty instead of innocent when I was falsely accused of bad behavior. Management was too quick to side with the conniving "whistle blower" who had his own twisted ulterior motives in getting me into trouble. Not every person accused of wrongdoing is guilty.

Other Reviews for City of Seattle

Seattle Parks and Recreation

Current Employee - Indoor Facilities Scheduler  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Indoor Facilities Scheduler in Seattle, WA

I have been working at City of Seattle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stable job. Work Flexibility. Relatively easy work. Great benefits.

Cons

No incentive to be self motivated. A hierarchical leadership system. They try to maintain the status quo rather than trying to be fore efficient or productive. Unable to empower workers due to bureaucratic policies. The work isn't really challenging. No room for professional growth.

Please try to empower your employees more rather than implement more policies on how job assignments should be structured and executed.

Great Employer - Wonderful People

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at City of Seattle as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great Pay, lots of opportunities. Friendly helpful co-workers.

Cons

Like all of government - subject to economic flux.

keep up the good work!

There are newer employer reviews for City of Seattle.

Worked for City of Seattle? Contribute to the Community!