Overall Good Place TO Work

I worked at City of Seattle full-time

Pros

good working environment, great benefits.

Cons

Hard to move up, employee needs to look at succession planning.

Other Reviews for City of Seattle

Great place for diversity and a secure future

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist II  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Administrative Specialist II in Seattle, WA

I worked at City of Seattle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working for the City of Seattle can provide you with a very good salary and a good retirement if you can manage to bypass the frequent budget cuts. I found that there is a great mix of people from so many backgrounds and often, very friendly office environments. And if you have the right manager, you will be able to work on projects outside your title and class and may be moved along for promotions.

Cons

You really need a manager you are in sync with to move upward in the City. If you don't have this, it can be difficult to move ahead or out of a specific title.

Think outside of the box and cross train employees so that they have more opportunities to move ahead.

A great place to work if you want to make a difference in our city

I have been working at City of Seattle full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

When I do a good job, it helps everyone in the city. That makes me feel good. I've worked in jobs in the past where I felt like the sole purpose of my job was to was help someone else get rich. I like knowing I'm making a difference in people's lives. My coworkers feel the same. They're dedicated and passionate about helping.

Cons

Sometimes we get criticized by the public (serious haters) and that doesn't feel good. The city is absolutely cost-conscious. Often that means we don't get the best tools or software. We never have enough staff. It's hard to get the work done with so few people - and yet we're not expected or even permitted to work overtime. That can be stressful.

Stop hiring expensive consultants to tell you if your staff is doing a good job. Why not find out what they do? Ask them to explain their work. They'll be happy to share and you'll be happy to save lots of money.

There are newer employer reviews for City of Seattle.

Worked for City of Seattle? Contribute to the Community!