CityGrid Media

www.citygridmedia.com
There are newer employer reviews for CityGrid Media

Uninspiring place to work with no emphasis on the employee

I worked at CityGrid Media

Pros

There's a TV upstairs. Bagels on Fridays. There's a company picnic once a year. You get a laptop. Fancy building.

Cons

Your parking lot is 1/3 mile away, so get used to walking to work. The management preaches six "values" (things like transparency, speed and quality), none of which are practiced and none of which place any focus on you, the employee (your happiness, your growth, your career). Pay is good, but only because they are desperate to attract "talent". Everyone there also used to work at yahoo, and you know how well that turned out. If you didn't previously work at yahoo, you will not advance your career here. Your ideas are rarely considered. If you did work at yahoo, you will probably become senior director of something. However, the company is facing an uphill battle in an industry that, frankly, is already being won by the likes of google, foursquare and yelp. Knowing this, the company doesn't really seem to know what it's doing.

Value your (good) employees. Listen to them and their ideas and do not place so much emphasis on "the process". They don't need pep talks and inspiring speeches - they need supportive management, not controlling management.

66 Other Employee Reviews for CityGrid Media (View Most Recent)

THE WORST PLACE I HAVE EVER WORKED

I worked at CityGrid Media

Pros

There were a few good folks to work with there.

Cons

I want to say a couple things up front in the spirit of full disclosure and frankness:

1. I HATE this place - it was far and away and in *every* way the most insulting, demoralizing work experience I've ever had.

2. That said, do your due diligence - it's possible that things can change, or that there are pockets within the company that somehow provide a decent work environment. Although I will say that is hard to imagine.

Here's the list:

1. Chaotic work environment/Non-existent or incompetent/arrogant/uninterested direct management.

Explanation: For my first 4 months on the job I had NO direct manager. In month 5 they "temporarily" made a VP the team manager. This person quickly decided that with his state-of-the-art mastery of 90s web technology he should actually function as the team tech lead instead. Far from actually managing us his singular interest was in defending his throne as tech-god and czar. He made this abundantly clear by utterly displacing the real team lead (who was a very competent and up-to-date technologist) forcing the entire (JAVA) team to write Perl scripts (since that was the only thing he (almost) knew how to do) and often screaming (I'm not kidding) YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND to any team member who debated him on anything, especially his crappy, misplaced Perl code.

Annual reviews came up about 5 months into my tenure. We'd had to fill out a questionnaire in preparation for the interview - questions you'd expect like how you felt about how things were going at work, what would you change, what were your personal goals, etc. In the interview, instead of engaging me with any questions of that sort, he instead scanned my (considered) responses for a full 3 seconds and blurts out "Well all this says is that you're new. You're new." He then, unlike the printed questionnaire, fails to ask me even a single question and instead proceeds to talk about things from his point of view for 5-10 minutes. The truth is this is exactly how I expected the "review" to go and I already was headed full speed for the door so I didn't bother taking the initiative to unilaterally communicated anything that any normal manager would have asked me in a review.

2. Arrogant and out of touch leadership.

3. Favoritism, promotion of incompetent personnel while the talented get passed over for raises and promotions.

4. Uncanny numbers of utterly incompetent personnel who constantly pressure the competent to form a human bridge that spans the endless gulf between their duties and their ernormously limited capabilities.

5. Merciless Lowballers.

6. No one in management taking action on ANY of these fundamental problems.

I realize I might come off as someone who is disgruntled but doesn't really have the right to be etc etc. We all know the kind. I assure you I am not. I have worked in the industry for 12 years and have many fond memories of many good years - at other companies.

Final note/smoking gun - within a month after my leaving CityGrid had lost SO MANY tech employees to a mass exodus/stampede for the exits that they not only stopped low-balling on job offers but they offered many who were still there huge retention bonuses AND huge signing bonuses for referrals. Learning of this the rest of us just collectively shook our heads and muttered "wow..."

You have a lucrative market cornered and *should* make a killing. The irony though is that the arrogance you subject your employees to is SO intense that it is blinding you to the obvious realities of your company and your business - and as a result might just sink you too. Hopefully you won't have to pay such a high price just to learn a lesson in decency and equality. I'm not sure where you think you are on the globe or what century your calendar reads, but this is the USA, century 21.

Frustration

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hollywood, CA

I worked at CityGrid Media

Pros

Nice location, great office. Decent benefits. There are some great people that worked there. Made a lot of great friends in the process.

Cons

No room for advancement. Management will try to deny your attempts to find other opportunities within the company. Unfair treatment of employees. I got treated differently (micromanaged) than my coworkers. Felt so trapped, there was no one to go to. HR didn't care, just seems no one cares. Glad I am moving on.

Reassignment. I really have no other words to say. I tried and tried but it didn't work. Like I said, I am glad I'm moving on.

There are newer employer reviews for CityGrid Media