There are newer employer reviews for Claire's Stores

Overwhelming

Current Employee - Third Keyholder in Sherman Oaks, CA
Current Employee - Third Keyholder in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Small Store
Great Customers
Store Discount

Cons

Blackout Dates year around
Management needs training
On calls
Part Time No benefits
Little to None Pay
Breaks too short

Need to train better associates and other management members

320 Other Employee Reviews for Claire's Stores (View Most Recent)

Good company to get management experience

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Gurnee, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Gurnee, IL

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

oportunity for avancement
    fun working enviroment

Cons

pay is lower than most companies

consider current employees for promotions before hiring outside the company

Crappy pay for major responsibilities

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Florence, AL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Florence, AL

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy job. If you have ever worked retail and know how to handle customers, this job is cake. Suggestive selling is a huge part of the job, and staying on top of new trends will help with sales.

Cons

You have to remember how to open and close on your own after only doing it once or twice. I really mean after doing it only once or twice. You are expected to do it in 45 minutes too. Vaccum, clean the store, count down registers, fill out budget sheet, time sheet and operations report. If you take too long to do it, they will take away the 15 min of bank time that you are supposed to get for driving to the bank and dropping off the deposit. Complete BULL****. Oh, and Claire's will jack your pay of you don't keep an eye on your payroll slips.
    Ear piercing training is a major joke! You are expected to watch a dvd (in store while handling customers, so you never really get to watch it with your full attention) and then "assist" in a piercing. I was made to help pierce a babies ears, I hadn't watched the dvd or practiced on the fabled foam ears that Claire's tells you to practice on, so I was very nervous and upset because I had never done such a thing before. The ear piercing station is completely unsanitary and half of the employees do not follow the sanitation rules.
    I don't know about all the other stores, but the ones in my region are also very bad about expecting you to work off the clock, which is illegal, but none of the people doing it will turn Claire's in. Home office will give you 3 days to reset the entire look and location of items in the store, but you are not allowed to do it during business hours (it is an unspoken trend to do it during business hours) and you are only given 9 hours over the 3 days to do it before or after business hours. So, you have 1,300 items to move around in the store, and you have 3 hours each day for 3 days to do it. It is harder than it seems, I promise. Even my store manager thinks it's impossible and she has been doing it for years.
    Also, thieves are huge at Claire's, and you have to always be on the lookout for them. None of the store cameras work, so if you say you saw someone taking something, you better make sure that you watch them the whole time (hard if it's the weekend).

Train your employees better, like an entire week of actual training. Get every store a portable dvd player because you can not watch those training dvds during store hours!!! Train on ear piercing better, especially on how to get them even. Install actual cameras, or door sensors, it would really help.

There are newer employer reviews for Claire's Stores