Crappy pay for major responsibilities

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Florence, AL
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Florence, AL

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy job. If you have ever worked retail and know how to handle customers, this job is cake. Suggestive selling is a huge part of the job, and staying on top of new trends will help with sales.

Cons

You have to remember how to open and close on your own after only doing it once or twice. I really mean after doing it only once or twice. You are expected to do it in 45 minutes too. Vaccum, clean the store, count down registers, fill out budget sheet, time sheet and operations report. If you take too long to do it, they will take away the 15 min of bank time that you are supposed to get for driving to the bank and dropping off the deposit. Complete BULL****. Oh, and Claire's will jack your pay of you don't keep an eye on your payroll slips.
Ear piercing training is a major joke! You are expected to watch a dvd (in store while handling customers, so you never really get to watch it with your full attention) and then "assist" in a piercing. I was made to help pierce a babies ears, I hadn't watched the dvd or practiced on the fabled foam ears that Claire's tells you to practice on, so I was very nervous and upset because I had never done such a thing before. The ear piercing station is completely unsanitary and half of the employees do not follow the sanitation rules.
I don't know about all the other stores, but the ones in my region are also very bad about expecting you to work off the clock, which is illegal, but none of the people doing it will turn Claire's in. Home office will give you 3 days to reset the entire look and location of items in the store, but you are not allowed to do it during business hours (it is an unspoken trend to do it during business hours) and you are only given 9 hours over the 3 days to do it before or after business hours. So, you have 1,300 items to move around in the store, and you have 3 hours each day for 3 days to do it. It is harder than it seems, I promise. Even my store manager thinks it's impossible and she has been doing it for years.
Also, thieves are huge at Claire's, and you have to always be on the lookout for them. None of the store cameras work, so if you say you saw someone taking something, you better make sure that you watch them the whole time (hard if it's the weekend).

Train your employees better, like an entire week of actual training. Get every store a portable dvd player because you can not watch those training dvds during store hours!!! Train on ear piercing better, especially on how to get them even. Install actual cameras, or door sensors, it would really help.

Other Reviews for Claire's Stores

Overwhelming

Current Employee - Third Keyholder  in  Sherman Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Third Keyholder in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Small Store
    Great Customers
    Store Discount

Cons

Blackout Dates year around
    Management needs training
    On calls
    Part Time No benefits
    Little to None Pay
    Breaks too short

Need to train better associates and other management members

Loads of tasks!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Discount is great at 50% off most everything. Flexible hours. Full time employees qualify for health insurance, vacation, sick time, payed holidays, and opportunity for quarterly bonus. Even part-time 3rd Key's get vacation time that builds over time.

Cons

Only the manager gets guaranteed 40 hours. Full-time is really more like 32-38 hours (except Holiday season.) The hours provided to the stores are very minimal. They give us so many tasks to do but with only one person in the store most of the time, it is very hard to do your job quickly and well. Monthly markdowns, monthly visual planograms, sort shipment everyday, ear piercings, ringing up customers, looking out for shoplifters.

Praise your employees when they do well! You only hear the negative but seldom will you get a "Good job." Corporate really needs to realize that the amount of hours given per week are not enough for the many tasks you have to perform and at the same time keeping customers happy. We aren't robots!

There are newer employer reviews for Claire's Stores.

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!