Claire's Stores

www.clairestores.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Claire's Stores

Okay to start but don't transfer.

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Yuma, AZ
Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Yuma, AZ

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The discount is one of the best I have seen.
I had an amazing boss, who pushed me and made me better
The product is fun and you get to "dress up"
You can move up if you push yourself to go above and beyond.

Cons

I requested a transfer and it was granted to me but the lead manager at the new store never worked me and I was forced to find a new job.
Corporate does not pay management what they are worth. Third keys get paid .15 over min. wage and they work crazy hours.
All the bad just runs down hill and if you have a bad manager you could get blamed of every problem in the store, because District managers pressure managers who in turn over push their employees.

Make sure HR answers their voice mails, when I had my transfer issue I could not get a hold of the HR department so I call both my DM's and all they could say was talk to HR. Big circle and nothing was ever done.

379 Other Employee Reviews for Claire's Stores (View Most Recent)

Stressful.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* The discount is great.
    * Working in such a young environment will help you stay on top of middle school trends, if you're into that.
    * There is definitely room for advancement due to high turn over.
    * After you work at Claire's for a while, every other job will seem amazing and easy.
    * Ear piercing can be fun.
    * If you have a good team, the work environment can be fun and energetic.

Cons

* No breaks. You work by yourself almost at all times. If you do happen to get a lunch, it's almost never the amount of time you're supposed to get. This is something that you get used to after a while and it will be a pain to explain it to new employees who are used to the companies they work for following labor laws.

* Too many tasks to perform simultaneously. Often during an eight hour shift by yourself, you will be expected to put out 4-15 boxes of shipment (and at our store we were not supposed to have shipment on the floor while we had customers), perform customer service tasks, pierce ears, watch shoplifters (of which there are MANY), answer the phone, fill out paperwork (again, not in front of customers), and rearrange the store (also something we weren't supposed to do if a customer was in the store). We were also expected to be able to rummage through the bins in the backroom to find things for customers, but also not supposed to leave the sales floor if we had customers. There were a lot of conflicting directions issued by upper management and store management was just supposed to figure out how to get it done.

* Employees are told to greet every customer using a canned phrase and offer a basket immediately upon their entering the store. Some people want time to look around when they come in before having a basket thrust upon them. In addition, the scripted greetings make it very hard to be sincerely excited about helping customers. They make you sound fake to the customers and you will get tired of saying the same thing over and over.

* No payroll hours in order to get things finished. Management is often expected to work overtime, six days a week, sometimes twelve hours a day (mandatory during holidays) on a laughable annual salary that pays for 40 hours a week. I got anywhere from 90 to 120 hours a week in payroll. Even 120 - my 40 = 80 hours to use for the rest of the staff. Other stores had to make do on less.

* As interesting as ear piercing was, it was also a highly stressful part of the job. Often I would find myself trying to talk a little girl into getting her OTHER ear pierced after I'd already finished one while the phone was ringing in the background, customers were starting to form a line to check out, and shipment was being delivered. During Planogram!

* The pay I was authorized to offer to third keys and assistants was really ridiculous. Honestly, I'm surprised I ever found anyone of quality with that low pay rate.

* TINY stores. I would pull a few of the smaller fixtures off the floor to get it in compliance with ADA and my DM would come by and force me to set them back up. I could barely get through some areas of my store when it was completely empty, much less on a Saturday when the store was full of people. Strollers and wheelchairs? Forget about it.

* I had two DMs during my time with Claire's. One of them was constantly around, trying to hire people for my store that I didn't need and had no hours for, coming by when I wasn't working to change things against Planogram because she had looked at the wrong store plan, and constantly introducing more paperwork to send her. The other one I never saw OR talked to (except on the nightly calling in of numbers) until it was time for someone from upper management to make their annual visit to our district. Then she would be in the store, trying to figure out what was going on and bossing everyone around badly.

Please get realistic about what you expect from your employees. If you're going to continue to demand so much, at least pay them more. I wish we could get some of the upper management (above DM) into the stores to work by themselves for a few weeks.

Absolute WORST job I have ever had.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Get to pierce ears
    - Nice discount on items
    - Work alone a lot (good and bad?)

Cons

- Very LOW payroll
    - Training system is a joke
    - Constantly being told you're "watched" by the District Manager
    - Stupid daily tasks that are unnecessary
    - Working alone a lot, and when it gets busy you're supposed to deal with ear piercings, ringing out customers and explaining the "Ten for Ten" discount thirty times
    - Terrible wages
    - Very unflexible scheduling

I was the assistant manager, and I would like to advise my manager and district manager to be more flexible with schedules. I wasn't allowed to take off my COMMENCEMENT day for graduation--seriously?

There are newer employer reviews for Claire's Stores