There are newer employer reviews for Claire's Stores

An ok company to work for... getting better

Current Employee - Store Manager in Savannah, GA
Current Employee - Store Manager in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salary if you have a two family income. They teach you great customer service. Satisfaction in knowing your customers are satisfied. Great merchandise and display of merchandise. They have recently lightened up on the dress code and allowed dressy jeans. Yay!!! Ove all it's what you make of it..

Cons

The should pay more based on experience. DSM are some times hard to get a hold of... They don't answer or return calls. Not enough hours given for the task given. If upper management does nt like you, then you feel your job is in jeopardy. Very stressful. Having to work every weekend is ludicrous especially when you have a family. You have to requst a weekend when most jobs grant you at least ina weekend a month.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees!!!! They are taking care of you. You spend the weekends with your families, we would love to do the same. I hope the new guy knows this and will make that change...

reviews filtered by
  1. Good time but EXTREMELY stressful !!!!!!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment is cool. If you like all things girly this would be a OK place to work. Best thing about the job is piercing ears and the discount.

Cons

Management expects way to much. In most stores its only about 4-6 people on the payroll. store manager, assistant manger, key holder and 2 part time associates. sometimes you are expected to open the store alone and stand there for at least 4-5 hours before the next person comes in.
    leaving you with tons of shipment to sort and display, keeping the store clean, ringing customers and piercing ears ALONE !! even the greatest multi-tasker would have difficulties. Senior management dosnt believe in work - life balance at all they try and drill it into your head that Claire's is supposed to be your life inside and outside of work

Advice to Management

Instead of dictating everything from behind a computer screen, Try working in the store as a manager and see what the employees have to deal with to make it through the day.

Stressful.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* The discount is great.
    * Working in such a young environment will help you stay on top of middle school trends, if you're into that.
    * There is definitely room for advancement due to high turn over.
    * After you work at Claire's for a while, every other job will seem amazing and easy.
    * Ear piercing can be fun.
    * If you have a good team, the work environment can be fun and energetic.

Cons

* No breaks. You work by yourself almost at all times. If you do happen to get a lunch, it's almost never the amount of time you're supposed to get. This is something that you get used to after a while and it will be a pain to explain it to new employees who are used to the companies they work for following labor laws.

* Too many tasks to perform simultaneously. Often during an eight hour shift by yourself, you will be expected to put out 4-15 boxes of shipment (and at our store we were not supposed to have shipment on the floor while we had customers), perform customer service tasks, pierce ears, watch shoplifters (of which there are MANY), answer the phone, fill out paperwork (again, not in front of customers), and rearrange the store (also something we weren't supposed to do if a customer was in the store). We were also expected to be able to rummage through the bins in the backroom to find things for customers, but also not supposed to leave the sales floor if we had customers. There were a lot of conflicting directions issued by upper management and store management was just supposed to figure out how to get it done.

* Employees are told to greet every customer using a canned phrase and offer a basket immediately upon their entering the store. Some people want time to look around when they come in before having a basket thrust upon them. In addition, the scripted greetings make it very hard to be sincerely excited about helping customers. They make you sound fake to the customers and you will get tired of saying the same thing over and over.

* No payroll hours in order to get things finished. Management is often expected to work overtime, six days a week, sometimes twelve hours a day (mandatory during holidays) on a laughable annual salary that pays for 40 hours a week. I got anywhere from 90 to 120 hours a week in payroll. Even 120 - my 40 = 80 hours to use for the rest of the staff. Other stores had to make do on less.

* As interesting as ear piercing was, it was also a highly stressful part of the job. Often I would find myself trying to talk a little girl into getting her OTHER ear pierced after I'd already finished one while the phone was ringing in the background, customers were starting to form a line to check out, and shipment was being delivered. During Planogram!

* The pay I was authorized to offer to third keys and assistants was really ridiculous. Honestly, I'm surprised I ever found anyone of quality with that low pay rate.

* TINY stores. I would pull a few of the smaller fixtures off the floor to get it in compliance with ADA and my DM would come by and force me to set them back up. I could barely get through some areas of my store when it was completely empty, much less on a Saturday when the store was full of people. Strollers and wheelchairs? Forget about it.

* I had two DMs during my time with Claire's. One of them was constantly around, trying to hire people for my store that I didn't need and had no hours for, coming by when I wasn't working to change things against Planogram because she had looked at the wrong store plan, and constantly introducing more paperwork to send her. The other one I never saw OR talked to (except on the nightly calling in of numbers) until it was time for someone from upper management to make their annual visit to our district. Then she would be in the store, trying to figure out what was going on and bossing everyone around badly.

Advice to Management

Please get realistic about what you expect from your employees. If you're going to continue to demand so much, at least pay them more. I wish we could get some of the upper management (above DM) into the stores to work by themselves for a few weeks.