Lackluster Company

Former Employee - Store Manager in North Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Store Manager in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy sells due to Claire's branding, good ear piercing experience, merchandising the product is fun, customer service opportunities, can get closer with staff due to down time, store discounts are generally around 50%, great benefits, a low amount of work hours, tons of signs to set.

Cons

Low pay with extremely low raises, the hiring of extremely young and inexperienced Store Managers and District Managers, lack of integrity with the DM's, upper mgmt. not answering their phones, not straight forward with the planogram sets, emotional regional who acts extremely unprofessional, unorganized DM's, micromanagement to its fullest, stores are super empty on the weekdays so it gets boring,not enough work to do when a set isn't happening, no cameras,hard to take vacations, very political,the Claires low volume and low square footage stores look poor on a resume.

Advice to Management

Pull people into the company with integrity and a decent amount of retail experience. It's not right to have the SM's take the fall for the young and inexperienced DM's who are really still learning the job being that its their first DM position in their life.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

overworked understaffed and underpaid

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very good insurance - good vacation time

Cons

expected to do unreal amount of work with unreal deadlines...work is acceptable load if they give you enough hours to staff your store to complete it but you spend 95% of the time alone unable to take breaks unable to complete deadlines etc.
    In one months time you are expected to do monthly markdowns, change the planogram and signs in the door daily with BIG wall/floor changes every month, sometimes doing one thing and redoing the same thing back to original within one week (all with approximately 3 hours of having two people in the store and 5 by yourself). You are also supposed to print analyze and coach employees on all metrics of the store such as this unbelievable goal of an 18 dollar ADS (average dollar sale) when you have "10 for 10" clearances every day of the week and accepting 20% coupons for total purchase at the Outlet Stores. You are also supposed to unpackage and put out shipment within 24 hours, pierce ears, open locked body jewelry cabinets, insane amount of paperwork and loss prevention when you are alone in the store all the time.

Advice to Management

More hours for staff less micromanaging by DSM

Drama Central for Low pay

Current Employee - Third Keyholder
    Current Employee - Third Keyholder

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good discount, interesting clientele, good training on ear piercings.

Cons

Pay is awful. & It's a predominantly female population, with a lot of female drama. I don't think there's been a day where I've worked with one person to listen to them complain about another. There's a lot of politics that comes with the job in house. If you have good management, then your work-life balance can be awesome but at the same time they may completely ignore you for hours in the future. I've gone two weeks where I literally only worked 4 hours. Also, none of the product really changes and visual merchandising can be super easy or really tedious, like I said: depends on management. Also, when I say management I don't mean management to include third keys and the ASM. Just the actual manager & the DSM.

Advice to Management

Pay your managers more, and don't have so many in one store. There needs to be more sales associates.