Claire's Stores

Don't Take The Job.....

Former Employee - Store Manager in Davenport, IA
Former Employee - Store Manager in Davenport, IA

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

They tell you about the benefits 6 paid holidays 5 personal days and 1 week of vacation.

Cons

what they don't tell you is x-mas eve & x-mas are your days off you have to work everyday the week of thanksgiving but thanksgiving that is your day off. You are required to work and 8 hour shift with noone else in the store to help you and told to go to the bathroom in the back room but leave the door open so you can hear if any customers come in they say they give you a break but how if you are the only one there. They change the store every weey due to markdowns and planograms but never give you extra hours. If someone calls and complains they don't even ask what happened in the store they just give the customer a gift card making you look like and idiot and until recentally the took back everything no time limit even if it was worn. They still take back earrings the someone has worn they just clean them with achocol. . If you worked more than 40 hours it was half time where your assistant made time and half even on holidays.

Go work in a store and do what you require all of the managers to do with the payroll you give them.

335 Other Employee Reviews for Claire's Stores (View Most Recent)

Enjoy never having any down time or work/life balance-Expect to work extra hard and get only criticism in return...

Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

The first 3 years with this company were great but that was the "Old Claire's" as they tend to call it...Pros...getting 5 days personal is a good deal-IF you're lucky enough to be able to actually take them. Having xmas eve, xmas, and new years off is a plus, but then again it's not always a guarantee...

Cons

Where should we start? Not enough payroll so no matter how many tasks you gave your associates you always ended up working way over and stressing to get the job done (and they don't pay you enough for it). The people above me were overly critical-one piece of dust on a fixture and the whole visit was downhill from there no matter how much work you put into it. They were also very condescending in the way they would talk to me. There was NO respect, only criticism. It was very discouraging. You always have the paranoia that someone is watching you because of their "Beware there are secret shoppers in your area and corporate are local" scare tactics. You also have to spy on your employees as well by conducting "PM shops". The DSM was very deceitful and never followed through with me, but would instead do my store visits when I wasn't there, only to call me in on my days off. This company doesn't know whether it's coming or going half the time anymore-it felt like every week they would add something else for all managers to do-they would also change the way they would do something so often it confused a lot of us, so you'd ask someone to explain it to you, you'd figure it out-then you'd have another corporate visit only to find out they want you to do it a new way and you're criticized for having done it wrong...again. (very wishy-washy). You also feel like you're doing planograms (wall changes) every other week which is kind of ridiculous-it's never ending. The tasks they give you and the amount of time they give you to do them is almost impossible. It was always stressful-too stressful for retail work. Why I stuck around for 5 years is beyond me...I guess I just kept hoping it would get better, but it didn't.

Give your employees some RESPECT-we are ALL people, not just some little ants for you to step on. Positive re-enforcement really makes a difference. It makes the employees happy and happy employees make better sales people and harder workers...doesn't sound too hard, does it?!

working at claires

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

group environment, no commission, and fun

Cons

work like a a slave and don't get paid as much as your suppose to

be more positive and praise the hard work people put into this company enough if they are not increasing in this economy

There are newer employer reviews for Claire's Stores