Spread out the tasks!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Davenport, IA
Current Employee - Store Manager in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Great employee discount Fun atmosphere Bonus incentives for beating last year numbers Recognition within store managers' conference calls when goals are exceeded Recognition when new ideas are brought to the table

Cons

This is retail, I expect to work nights, more hours than my 40, and for the company to want to make a profit. I do not expect to be treated like a child and have to do silly things like "sign off on voicemail when you schedule your store meeting." I am an adult, as are almost all my employees. If you ask me to have a store meeting, I will have it, trust me! The amount of tasking is fine, but spread it out. There are weeks that my employees could take a nap and nobody would notice, then they throw a plano update, markdown and a million revisions (because someone at the corp. level could not get it right the first time) in the same week and oh yeah... no payroll to do it in. If you have employees and management that care about the business, you will bonus, and bonus well. The downside to that is the amount of hours you are by yourself (4-8, depending on the day) and have to run back to go to the bathroom between customers. Shoplifting is a big problem but so are employees not watching the store and talking on the phone or chatting with each other rather than giving good customer service to deter said shoplifters. I'm a firm believer in you get out of the employees what you are willing to put into their training and the way you treat them. Upper management should realize that, too.

Advice to Management

Treat your store managers like adults and pay them accordingly. Assisstant managers should make more money, they are an integral part of a stores dynamics. Don't hire the first person that is interviewed for an upper management position just because you need a warm body to work. Quit being so stingy with the payroll and maybe you won't have issues with people working off the clock, committing time clock fraud, execution of tasks, and customers complaining about the wait times for piercing or being checked out. You will make more money when there are employees in the store to take care of the customers.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

eh...

Current Employee - Store Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Great chance for promotions. In less than two years i was managing my own store. Good pay for key holders and assistant managers. good experience fun merchandise

Cons

unrealistic sales goals working alone alot stressful as a manager i would work over 40 hours with no over time long shifts with no breaks

Advice to Management

give new managers more training. give more payroll hours to function. its the same price to hire a sales associate rather than making the manager work over time!

2. Not too bad

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Thornton, CO

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

The discount was awesome, I got 50% off, and when there was sales, sometimes our manager would give us an additional 50% off the sales Most of the girls i worked with were amazing. I loved nearly all of them. My most recent manager has been with the company for 8 years, and she loves what she does, which makes it a positive working environment. Some of the customers were really awesome. I have some little girls that come back specifically to give me hugs, and show me their ears (which i pierced.)

Cons

Some of the employes that get hired are just incompetent. I don't know how one of our assistant managers are even still working for us. She should have been fired months ago. Shop lifters are often a really big problem. Some kids are just awful to deal with, they trash the store, and don't bother to pick anything up. As with any retail job, you get some customers that are just down right rude to you, or are just rude in general. Really stupid customers. Stealing with employes can be a major issue at times, it's one of the highest reasons why people get fired here. Either that or the just can't stick it out, so the turn over rate is pretty big, even for a small store.

Advice to Management

When a girl is having a problem with something, give her good constructive criticism and then tell her how she can fix what she's doing wrong. It's the best way for girl to learn and learn quick.