There are newer employer reviews for ClassWish

Warning (Internship)

I worked at ClassWish as an intern

Pros

Pretty easy work, and you are able to work off your computer.

Cons

This company seems to hire you as an intern, gets you to do a project, and after you're finished with a project, they do not contact you back.

12 Other Employee Reviews for ClassWish (View Most Recent)

A great place to intern if you are the right sort of person

Former Employee - Nonprofit in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Nonprofit in New York, NY

I worked at ClassWish as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This was a GREAT internship. I have had half a dozen internships, and I have never before had this level of responsibility. I plan to come back next summer and know that several of my peers will do the same.

Here is what made it such a positive experience for most of us:
    • A really important mission. What could be better than helping millions of kids get a better education!
    • An entrepreneurial environment. This isn’t for everyone, but if you are creative, like to take initiative, and want to make things happen, there is no limit to what you can do. Here are the sort of things we did as interns summer of 2014: create a video to have play in Times Square, create a new set of banner ads, re-design the logo, re-design the website, line up celebrities to lend their voice, use an ecommerce program to create an online bookstore, recruit the participation of big companies, take on broad research projects, conceive and create a program for international virtual interns, or do accounting.
    • If you have an idea, you can run with it and get all the support you need.
    • Lots of areas to focus on: we could all choose to focus on any school subject (art, music, sports, science, etc.) or any discipline (graphics, social media, research, accounting, communications, or whatever).
    • Diverse group: we had interns from all over the U.S. and around the world. It was geographically, racially, and ethnically diverse. And the interns had diverse skills in everything from writing to design to research, as well as interests in everything from art to sports, so there is plenty of opportunity to learn from them.
    • Collegial: some days I brought my lunch (there is a frig and a microwave) and ate with other interns. Some days we went out for lunch. Some of us also got together after work. Most of us made some new friends from all over the world.
    • Convenient location – right across from Penn Station
    • Spacious offices. It is an old building so it is not fancy, but the space is clean and there is lots of room. By the way, the building (not ClassWish) locked the bathrooms on the floor for a few weeks of renovation. We used the downstairs bathrooms, which were just an elevator ride away. So what.
    • The good group and the amount of space made it easy to grab a few people, grab a conference room and brainstorm whatever you are interested in.
    • Flexible dates: start when you are available and stay until you have to leave for school or whatever.
    • Good Founder: the co-founder, Robert Tolmach, has a diverse background in architecture, real estate, investment banking, environmental cleanup, and entrepreneurial ventures. That makes him a great person to learn from. He is very generous with his time, will explain the background, seek your input, and consider your ideas. He won’t always accept them, but he will listen and tell you why, which is all I could ask for. He was also very supportive and helpful when I asked for a recommendation letter for a program at school. When I interviewed, he said he wanted everyone to make a difference, to assume responsibility, to learn a lot, and to have a good time. I got all of that.
    • A good indicator of how much many interns liked the experience was that several gave Robert a present when they left: a necktie, a cool Chinese pen, lots of cards. I don’t have much money, so I gave him a card, which he seemed to really appreciate. I’m not saying you should spend money. I’m just saying how much lots of interns liked the experience and Robert.

Here is what I did to check out ClassWish before I accepted an offer, and I suggest you do the same if you are interested:
    • Ask yourself if you are really the entrepreneurial sort who wants to take responsibility and make things happen. The job postings all say this is not the place for people who just want to be given tasks. If you are the sort who wants to be told what to do every five minutes this may not be the place for you.
    • Visit the offices (or send someone who lives in NYC if you are out of town)
    • Ask Robert or whoever is heading HR now to introduce you to a bunch of former interns and ask them about their experience -- don’t rely on anonymous posts from people who may have been fired (just saying). I got a list of six former interns and spoke to three of them. All of them said they said they got a lot of responsibility, got to do a lot, learned a lot, and were treated well. I’m glad I took the time to do that and glad that listened to them because I had the same experience. After getting a rave from the first three of them, I figured that was enough.
    • Ask to see some of the work product, presentations, etc. to see if you like the standards at ClassWish (I sure do, and I hope you do, too--especially if you see what I worked on!).

Cons

Well, it is unpaid but that is sort of the norm for nonprofits, isn't it?
    You need to bring your own notebook computer, but that is no big deal. Glad to help.
    Most of the other interns are really great, but there were a few with a sense of entitlement or no work ethic. They tend not to stay long.

Some things can be pros or cons, depending on your personality. If you like to take initiative and make things happen, the flexibility and freedom are wonderful. But if you are used to being in a lecture hall and want to be told what to do constantly, this might not be the place for you.

One thing that would make the place better is better screening of the applicants. I guess about 20% of the interns are awesome, 60% are good, 10% are pretty mediocre, and 10% just shouldn’t be there. You can see some of that latter group below, including one who I know got fired. I know they hire a lot of people and it is hard to really figure out how someone will be in just one interview. Maybe Robert can get more interns to talk to each person who applies and really figure out who is going to be a good fit. There are certainly some students who should not have been hired. Do yourself a favor, if you are an ‘A’ student and creative and want responsibility and if you care about helping kids in life, then talk to other real people who have interned there and check it out. But if not, then you should know it is not for you and find something else.

Warning

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at ClassWish as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It's in the Pennsylvania Hotel and the other interns you meet are nice.

Cons

Something about this man seems like a con. He is the only one running the organization. He has no other help accept interns/volunteers. I have spent most of my work experience in the nonprofit sector. I know how they function. He seems like he is putting on a show. The idea of Classwish is awesome and thats what attracted me to the internship but something is off with this guy. I don't know what he does all day. He says that there is a lot of work to do but none of the interns are doing anything substantial. Only one of the three interns have been there longer than a month. He asks you to create a flyer to put on the wall of interns. It seems like fraud because the amount of interns that are on the wall are nothing compare to the one it in office which was 5 including myself. Robert speaks condescendingly to you. It was my first day and I asked him for my next task after I finished my flyer and read the welcoming guide. He clearly did not now what to give me so he got mad at me and told me to ask the other interns before I came to him because he has so much work to do.

You are a fraud.