Classified Ventures

CV - Recommended with a few key caveats

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Classified Ventures

Pros

CV is an organization with solid and stable management, a strong business model and an overall culture that supports employee retention and growth. While each vertical (Cars.com or Apartments.com) has it's own unique culture, both leverage CV's general commitment to employee satisfaction. CV management is accessible and does not run the company from an ivory tower, which generally leads to a clear understanding of organizational goals and priorities. Work environment at CV is casual and often fun, but equal parts challenging and demands a strong work ethic. Advancement opportunities, especially via cross-departmental transfers, are readily available for those with the initiative to take advantage of them.

Cons

Although CV management is capable and long-tenured, there is a frequent trend towards decisions that lack long term vision and display extreme risk intolerance. The management team's tenure is perhaps a barrier in this regard, as fresh ideas often take some time to gain traction if not initially a "pet" idea of management. In addition, CV's board (it's newspaper parent companies) also contributes heavily to this problem - one can draw their own conclusions on how and why this is by looking at the health of the newspaper business.

Although growth opportunities absolutely exist, CV can be relatively flat in certain departments and a well-identified career path is not always obvious. For those with a wide array of interests and a desire to learn many aspects of the business, this framework works well but for others who prefer a more vertical progression ladder CV may not be the place for you.

Training, both in terms of specific job tasks and overall management/leadership training, is nearly non-existent, at least from the formal HR standpoint. Individual teams and managers can facilitate this quite well at times via budgeting for external conferences/training/course work, but this clearly varies by each manager's commitment to such opportunities

Don't overlook opportunities for growth and category leadership in the ideas of managers and leaders outside the executive team. Invest in employee growth and leadership development through greater commitment to training, leveraging both internal and external resources.

55 Other Employee Reviews for Classified Ventures (View Most Recent)

Work/Life Balance Important? Look Elsewhere

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Classified Ventures

Pros

Good pay, good reputation in the industry

Cons

Vertical management is lacking in vision. Work/life balance is weighted toward the company not the employee.

Times are tough, but your employees are your most important asset. Listen to them!

Young company with serious potential

Current Employee - Product in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Product in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Classified Ventures

Pros

CV is a great company to get started in the online advertising industry. There is a ton of energy within the workforce and everyone is dedicated to making our products the best. CV is very supportive of new growth opportunities and really pushes employees to explore professional development internally and externally.

Cons

There are definite limits to professional opportunities and development at CV - it's encouraged but only to a certain point. While the energy is there to make our verticals stronger, so much of it remains untapped as senior management continues to move forward on initiatives with blinders on. In many respects CV is tied to its media roots more than it should be - it's as if we outwardly embrace the advent of modern technology while still clinging to the apron strings of our newspaper parenthood.

Beyond that it is way past time to cut the apron strings, listen to your employees. However, in order to do that a safe, open forum needs to be created. There are some stellar examples of how other companies, great companies, have created an atmosphere where every employee feels they are part of the solution. Right now, there seems to be a general understanding that we face many issues, set-backs, etc. Enough of that, we have the solutions within the walls of our cubes, we just need to tap into that limitless knowledge base.

There are newer employer reviews for Classified Ventures