There are newer employer reviews for Clayton Homes

Steer clear!

Current Employee - Housing Consultant
Current Employee - Housing Consultant

I have been working at Clayton Homes

Pros

You can make lots of $ if you're motivated

Cons

Expect to work 11 hours a day despite what you are told initially. Managers have autonomy to be there when they feel like it and sales covers 8am-7pm. So, if you have no life, jump right in. NO training until you defeat the odds and look promising, which I was able to do. There is very little sales support or construction support so you will sell homes, build them, be a receptionist, interface and juggle warranty issues from the house you sold last month and the person who bought 5 years before you got there. All this and an expectation to keep on top of building sales momentum. I am successful here, but the more successful, the less personal life you can have because you will go back to having 7 houses to build, calling trades, visiting sites, etc... oh, and no gas/car reimbursement. If you are motivated and want to make money but do not care about your family, a great place to work. I used to have weekends off, but when one our fellow salespeople didn't make it, it was put on us to be there all day every day and every weekend and I forgot what "vacation" means.

Support your sales team. We work tireless hours while you are home with your families. Give us a construction person to handle what bogs us down. We pay YOUR salaries.

61 Other Employee Reviews for Clayton Homes (View Most Recent)

claytons has been a very friendly place to work.

I have been working at Clayton Homes

Pros

the people are fun to work around.

Cons

when orders started slowing down and wondering if we will work the following day.

i think they are doing a great job and should keep up the good work.

Treated Like a Used-Car dealer

Former Employee - Home Consultant
    Former Employee - Home Consultant

I worked at Clayton Homes

Pros

Solid Corporate Structure
    Good Communication from Corporate Office
    Freindly People from the Knoxville, Tennessee area (Corporate HQ)

Cons

Each sales center operates as the manager sees fit, regardless of his experience and management style
    Home centers away from Tenneesee area are treated differently than those in the south
    Pay should be based partially on locale. West Coast is WAY more expensive to live than rural Tennessee or Kentucky.
    Poor home center managers are left alone to manage poorly as long as sales figures are being met.
    "Home Consultants" should not have to adopt a used car salesman mentality. We could sell cars and get paid more quickly.
    The draw system of pay sucks, especially when the economy slows down and sales drop off. A base bay plus comission structure woud be nice.

Get rid of the used car salesman mentality and allow people with good sales and personal interaction skills to shine and act in a way that works for them.
    Promote good, young employees and let poor sales center managers leave.
    Remember that certain areas of the country differ from the south. Customers in Washington, Oregon and California (for example) expect to be treated differently than "trailer lots" in the south.

There are newer employer reviews for Clayton Homes