There are newer employer reviews for Clayton Homes

I have been able to earn a nice income, but the company needs much work in many areas.

Current Employee - Housing Consultant
Current Employee - Housing Consultant

I have been working at Clayton Homes

Pros

The pay is great and the experience with the customers is fulfilling. Good rewards if you make it to the top 25% of the sales force copany wide. Nice trips, extra earnings etc.

Cons

Many managers within the company are either incompetent for the job, or just shady people,either way the employees and customers lose. Managers expect you to work open to close all the time and that can be 10-12 hours a day.Training is a joke also!

Take a hard look at who you have leading your sales centers... could they cut it as sales people? If not they shouldn't be there. A manager who does not have the skills, and the knowledge to be a sales person will never be a successful manager. The other thing that is completely ridiculus is the "bull-pen" office you have for the sales people. It is so unprofessional. All the remodeling to take out each person's office and combine to this method was a huge mistake. Customers deserve to sit down with someone in their office, where they have all the tools needed to sell the house. They system now of the bull pen and they closing rooms are counterproductive. Trying to make a phone call with three people all in the same office ... what a joke.

61 Other Employee Reviews for Clayton Homes (View Most Recent)

Good overall. Cyclical market, job has huge ups and downs.

Current Employee - Retail Manager
    Current Employee - Retail Manager

I have been working at Clayton Homes

Pros

Some how they are predicting a good 2011. When you close a 100 retail locatons in three years. They may have trimmed the fat enough to let some stores have really good years.

Cons

Your job is never secure, they fire retail managers weekly. Shake up the zones regions mangers vps all the time. Nothing is ever the same. Often wonder who si my boss?? Whcih manager? Market is bad right now, Clayton is getter smaller closing plants, and retail stores. If you have your lucky and they know it!!

The entire company thinks they can be canned at any time. Stability would be good! May not be possible in this market.

New Hire Made A Mistake In Accepting Position

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Clayton Homes

Pros

It's a job for now.

Cons

1st day on the job. I walked in an learned that one of the other sales people had just left the company, and that I would now be required to work 6 days a week (except Sundays) until further notice. Absolutely no training, I can sell, but with no knowledege of the product prices, proceedures, etc... I was told to work the lot from hour 1. How am I supposed to assist customers with absolutely no knowledge of these things. Also learned from customers who have visited the center before (and yes, this is still day 1) that I was the 5th sales person they have dealt with in the past couple of months. All the other had left the company. HMMM, can we say "recruiting mill"? Within 5 minutes, I was given the keys to the entire lot, and expected to close deals without any traing at all. Later in the week, when I was able to "shadow" the manager, I observed him lying to customers and telling people things totally contradictory to what I was being told?????

The company keeps promoting themselves as ALWAYS ethical and ALWAYS doing the right thing. Well then you need to live up to those claims and stop lying to people who are looking to work for you. If you do not, then you are no better than any other company out there that has very high turn-over. This place is worse than a fly-by-night car dealership!

There are newer employer reviews for Clayton Homes