Safety Kleen Integration

Current Employee - Management in Richardson, TX
Current Employee - Management in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We are now a much larger company with more internal opportunities

Cons

We are integrating backwards. We are converting to a system (WIN) that is setting SK back 15 years. The CEO boasts he's spent $100 million on this WIN system. It is very user unfriendly and labor intensive (manual, manual, manual)... $100 million? Really? Shareholders can't be aware of this. In many ways it feels like the tail is wagging the dog. They intgrating a 1.25 billion a year company into their systems without thought to the consequences. Used oil inventories are screwed up. Dissaster waiting to happen... yeah, yeah, yeah... sour apples. SK was purchased not the other way around. It gets old hearing that...

Advice to Management

Listen to your experts within Safety Kleen. WIN sucks bad...

reviews filtered by

Run away

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwell, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwell, MA

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working in the corporate office, teammates stick together and are very hard-working. Most mid-level managers are fair, understand how hard people work and try (mostly unsuccessfully) to provide career growth.

Cons

Senior management are former blue-collar trash collectors (literally) in the position of running a large company. If you deal with senior management you will hear some of the foulest language ever uttered in an executive boardroom. Extremely unprofessional communication and behavior. No qualms about publicly embarrassing employees/threatening to fire them in front of large groups of people.

Unless you are being trained for the job, there is no career-oriented training. The longer you stay static in your career, and exhibit no ambition, the better off you are.

Heaven help you if you make a suggestion or even try to make a suggestion to improve the company to senior management. People have been belittled and pushed out of the company as the CEO takes suggestions for improvement as a personal attack.

Technology from 2003 - company IT infrastructure run like a 50-person mom-and-pop not like the multi-national company it is.

Advice to Management

Advice to the board: don't be afraid of the CEO. His temper tantrums and unprofessional behavior have created a bad reputation for Clean Harbors in the Boston area -- recruiters, vendors and employees are afraid to work with him. Stop micro-managing (and making yourself look like a fool in the process) and learn to trust your middle-level managers.

Really not that bad

Former Employee - Account Manager in Norwell, MA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Norwell, MA

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My review comes after being in sales at several companies over 20 years. Most people here are genuinely good, hard working people. The benefits are great even after the increase we experienced this year. I would imagine the are better benefits than where you at. Very good base salary. Stock purchase plan is good(lowest price over quarter less 15&). 800 pound guerilla in the industry. Key to success here is figure out who can get things done and keep them happy. Training is heavy and lots of online courses for learning almost anything. Recently, they implemented a system to have new employees have a buddy and mentor to help get you started. Service that people HAVE to HAVE. Industry is only going to get bigger. Lots of people 10, 20 plus years here. If you want you could probably stay here for life.

Cons

Like every company I have worked with there are some issues, but stable and secure environment. Not sure if good or bad base salary is high but bonus are low. I am happy with pay for my role. If you are not careful you could turn into a customer service rep and not a sales rep.

Advice to Management

Most roles have a way for promotion, but in sales it is not clear. As an account manager it is too easy to turn into customer service rep and get tied up with customer service issues. Job description for support roles seems to vary depending on local management not consistent on who does what across the board..