Clean Harbors

www.cleanharbors.com
  www.cleanharbors.com
There are newer employer reviews for Clean Harbors

Decent wages, learned a lot, excessive hours.

Former Employee - Chemist
Former Employee - Chemist

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Very good benefits - Medical, dental and prescriptions are better than a lot of other companies. 401k and company stock options available.
2. Decent wage, though you'll hear "You're working for the overtime" a lot. Personally, I got to 40 hours by Wednesday more often than not. 65-75 hours a week not unusual.
3. Gained a lot of experience, which has led me to a much better career after 4 years at the Harbors.
4. A lot of great people at my office, and most of the guys I worked with had each other''s backs. I know this isn't true everywhere, so I was lucky.

Cons

1. Hours, hours, hours. Management likes to sell the point of "getting your hours" as a plus. True, you can make a lot of money, but be prepared for this job to be a grind. Like I said, 65-75 hours a week wasn't unusual, and I hit 90 hours on occasion. Spring and Fall were 6 day workweeks. Great if you're single, young and like to work. Not so much if you're raising a family.
2. Running jobs in the field can be pretty stressful. You have to work within the quote, solve problems as they occur and do this all while under the gun of a 14 hour driver limit. Plus, after you finish the job, problems can come up later and bite you days later. You WILL take the blame, not much interference set up by your superiors.
3. No much room for career advancement. Many of the guys I worked with have been doing the same thing for 7-9 years, with no real advancement or better opportunities.
3. Awful equipment and supply support. Trucks break down, which can leave you in some tough spots. I've broken down a few times, once at 7pm. Superiors left me hanging and I had to coordinate emergency service on my own. Didn't return to shop until 3am the next morning. Supplies are the worst, at least in the office I worked out of. "Reconditioned" means crappy second hand drums. Forced to use lab pack boxes which are bulky and awkward to move. All in the name of saving a dollar.

Overall, the people in my department were generally great. Management was a pain. Support was hit and miss. I moved on to a far less stressful job, half the hours at almost double my Harbors wage, However, I can also admit that I wouldn't have gotten this great job if not for my CH experience.

Stop with the interdepartmental bickering an politics. Also, find ways to streamline how CPG and Tech Services interact with the field guys. I have personally sat at jobs for 2-4 hours just waiting for approvals and profiles. This angers clients, whom field personnel have to interact with afterwards.

109 Other Employee Reviews for Clean Harbors (View Most Recent)

Poor Pay, Overworked, and Under appreciated.

Current Employee - Fleet Administrator in Norwell, MA
    Current Employee - Fleet Administrator in Norwell, MA

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some very good people to work with.

Cons

Upper management does not appreciate nor understand the work that is done. Always asking for more all while making cuts in employment.

Appreciate that even though some corporate teams do not make the company money, without us doing our job well, the divisions that make money would be unable to do so without us.

Safety Kleen Integration

Current Employee - Management in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Management in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We are now a much larger company with more internal opportunities

Cons

We are integrating backwards. We are converting to a system (WIN) that is setting SK back 15 years. The CEO boasts he's spent $100 million on this WIN system. It is very user unfriendly and labor intensive (manual, manual, manual)... $100 million? Really? Shareholders can't be aware of this. In many ways it feels like the tail is wagging the dog. They intgrating a 1.25 billion a year company into their systems without thought to the consequences. Used oil inventories are screwed up. Dissaster waiting to happen... yeah, yeah, yeah... sour apples. SK was purchased not the other way around. It gets old hearing that...

Listen to your experts within Safety Kleen. WIN sucks bad...

There are newer employer reviews for Clean Harbors