There are newer employer reviews for Clean Water Action

Enjoyable but difficult work, great work environment

Former Employee - Field Manager
Former Employee - Field Manager

I worked at Clean Water Action full-time (more than a year)

Pros

On turf, there was a great deal of autonomy. The work environment and other employees were great and kept me coming to work. It was rewarding to see concrete results come out of specific campaigns.

Cons

The work hours, canvasser's hours, were poor; work starts anywhere from 12:30 to 2:30 and ends around 11pm. The wages were not consistent with the amount of physical and emotional effort required by the job.

reviews filtered by
  1. Clean Water Action is a great first job for someone looking to work in non-profits and environment awareness

Former Employee - Field Canvasser in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Field Canvasser in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Clean Water Action full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Helping the environment and being politically active by doing so, relaxed office environment, good exercise during canvassing

Cons

Low base pay and a lower overall pay grade that is more suitable for college students than adults with children, can be pushed into uncomfortable situations during canvassing

Advice to Management

Work on expanding name recognition of Clean Water Action, as it would help canvassers in doing their jobs, and find better ways to turn the company into a career

2. Not a good idea.

Former Employee - Phone Canvasser
    Former Employee - Phone Canvasser

I worked at Clean Water Action

Pros

-overly friendly staff
    -$11/hr-if you make it through "training"
    -super easy to get hired
    -five minute interview

Cons

-blatant favoritism
    -cult-like feel
    -40 minute "briefing sessions" that provided no actual ideas for improving phone canvassing
    -high turn-over rate (3 people no called/no showed/got fired in the 2 weeks I was working)
    -5 week "training period" where the employee is paid minimum wage to do the same job, even without supervision
    -extremely competitive

Advice to Management

My only advice is to prospective employees: please do yourself a favor and do not take this job. The advertising for the job makes it seem as though you'll be getting paid $11 entry-level, but in reality there is a 5 week make it or break it "training" period. During said training period, the trainee gets paid minimum wage in 5 day cycles. From what I saw, most people quit or got fired before becoming apart of the staff. This job is definitely too good to be true.

There are newer employer reviews for Clean Water Action