If You're Going To Canvass, Canvass With Them

Former Employee - Canvasser  in  Washington, DC
Former Employee - Canvasser in Washington, DC

I worked at Clean Water Action full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay for canvassers, soliciting door-to-door one-time donations instead of trying to get people to sign up for monthly credit card contributions on the street like most canvassing groups, generally a very positive office culture, get good exercise walking every day, working for a good cause, good experience for a non-profit career in the future when coupled with other qualifications, good opportunities to advance to field manager, opportunities to cross-train in other cities which can be a lot of fun and a good learning experience.

Cons

Harder to get donations in the current economy, responsible for meeting a quota, if you do not meet the quota often enough you can be fired, kind of cultish denial of turf having an impact on fundraising and general "drinking of the koolaid," but no more so than you'd get at any canvassing job.

Canvass directors should work to reduce turnover and build camaraderie among long-term employees as it's the best way to have a strong team. Canvass directors need to be chosen carefully not just for their fundraising skills but for their leadership abilities.

Other Reviews for Clean Water Action

great place to work

I have been working at Clean Water Action

Pros

I liked the experience I gained working here

Cons

the pay isn't that great

The real Clean Water

Former Employee - Canvasser  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Clean Water Action part-time for less than a year

Pros

Improving confidence, helping out a good cause, meeting unusual people

Cons

Perspective employees: If you are looking for something secure, low stress, good pay, or something to be a primary job. This job is NOT FOR YOU. If you are looking for a second extra cash side job and don't easily get discouraged then go for it.

It can be hard to make staff which affects your job stability, overall job stability is not very secure even if you make "staff", I found it annoying answering before and after each and every shift what are you doing awesome and what can you improve regardless of if you were or were not successful (saying the same thing so many times and explaining why in a different way gets annoying after a few months). High pressure to make quota and you don't really see what happens with the money you collect so it sometimes gets hard to see that you are doing it for a good cause. It can be dangerous working late at night carrying cash. I don't care what is said turf, the economy, and non receptive customers matter. People do not make as much so in a richer area you can make quota, in an environmentally aware area you can make quota, but in certain poorer communities you cannot.

Last and biggest problem I had your pay rate is variable. Even if you work all week and have great nights and decent donations you can still have a terrible night where another canvasser was on your turf or you just did not make quota. However, your pay rate is based on how much you made for that week not that day therefore what might have been a good pay rate of above minimum wage is then recalculated for days that you have already worked.

I understand that you are just trying to keep up moral by assessing workers often and trying for cutesy moral boosting games and sessions. However, we are not 5. Therefore, be honest and not cultish by trying to induce a culture where employees feel the need to glue a smile to their face and use a fake sweet voice when speaking for 8 hours.

Also try to be more transparent about where the money collected goes. It gives canvassers moral to remember what they are fighting for and something to tell skeptical potential donors to better explain why they should join in the fight.

There are newer employer reviews for Clean Water Action.

Worked for Clean Water Action? Contribute to the Community!