There are newer employer reviews for Clear Channel

What an amazing experience

Former Intern - Intern in West Hartford, CT
Former Intern - Intern in West Hartford, CT

I worked at Clear Channel as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

I cannot tell you how much I've grown from working at this company. I started out as a regular Marketing and Promotions Intern, and then expressed my interest in working in the studios. As interns, we got to go to a lot of concerts, events, and shows for free, which was incredible.

However, the studio work is by far the most experience I have gotten in this internship. Not only did I get to record radio spots, but I got to be on air and I was given freedom and trust when it came to creating content and production/programming tasks. I was respected as an employee even though I was an unpaid intern. There are a few wonderful and kindhearted people in the company that truly believed in me, and if it weren't for them I would not have had the same experience. But whenever a project was presented to me, I took it. I recommend taking those offers and using the internship fully by shadowing employees and taking any possible opportunity, no matter how small.

Cons

I would not have succeeded if I did not push myself and actively seek out opportunities. But the experience that I gained was truly special. I don't know anyone else in my area that has gotten the on air experience that I have!

Advice to Management

This was a wonderful experience.

reviews filtered by

Once a great company

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good work life balance, decent benefits package and compensation

Cons

Senior Management lacks direction and changes frequently. The company rewards poor performance, low morale is pandemic as a result. The company has become stagnant due to the many levels of corporate bureaucracy that have been created. Layoffs at the branch level are routine while the corporate ranks increase. There is little possibility of upward mobility particularly if you are a woman.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people at the branch offices. The Mays family had the right formula. The company continues to perform well in spite of management and not because of it. It is important to learn the business before trying to change it.

Company loyalty and hard work mean nothing to these folks...

Former Employee - Online Content Director in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Online Content Director in Nashville, TN

I worked at Clear Channel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They are the premiere radio broadcasting company in the world - they are technically so far ahead of the game, no other company can touch them.

Cons

Morale is horrible, worse than anyplace else I have ever worked - including state government. They have cut their staffs back to beyond barebones, and those that remain - doing their own jobs plus several others' that were previously shown the door - are underpaid and underappreciated. I was "laid-off" after 16 years - the last five years without an increase in salary - even though I exceeded my corporate goals, one year by more than 300%. There was no bonus structure in place for my position, not even a "thanks, job well done". Even though my position was "eliminated," I found out a short time later my job title was changed and rehired within a few months.

I was so blindly loyal to Clear Channel that I never took more than half of my yearly vacation, seldom took a lunch hour and rarely called in sick. I look back on that now and wonder what I was thinking.

Advice to Management

Remember the Golden Rule - do unto others as you would have them to unto you. I know that must be a foreign concept to you. Oh, and learn your employees names - opening an exit interview with "Tough news, Bud" is not acceptable.

There are newer employer reviews for Clear Channel